IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I noticed one of my fish had velvet then two. The next day I broke down my reef and started a 30 Gallon quarantine system and Started treating with copper Yesterday). Today I already have .25 of ammonia in the quarantine. I took a cycled sponge That I was running on my display tank and threw it in my quarantine hoping it could help maintain SOME of the nitrogen cycle. I remember seeing somewhere that i can?t use prime but i don?t remember where and can?t find the page. Is this correct? If my only choice is water changes on this system I will be forced to just return my fish to my display and hope for the best, and I know there?s little hope for them. It took me 4 hours to set up the system yesterday and i cannot do daily water changes. To top it off I don?t have a copper Test kit to help maintain proper copper levels. I was going strictly with my drop to Gallon ratio. Any ideas? Are water changes my only hope?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Unless the tank is stock with a lot of fish or you're feeding a lot the ammonia shouldn't be a problem. Basically you shouldn't feed a lot and then do a large water change towards the end of the first week. After the water change bring the copper back up to level. After 2nd week I would change all the water out.

Instead of testing for ammonia, which you will have, I would just look at the fish and see if they're doing OK. If they're not then do a water change at that point.

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for the reply guys. As an update, I still have all my fish in quarantine with copper. I will leave the display fish free until February. My Birthday is Feb 4 so that's when I will return my fish to my display lol. I lost a couple of fish but I was able to save most. I lost a Royal Gramma a Diamond goby and a snowflake clown. Everyone else is looking excellent and very active, they seem to have settled into the quarantine which is actually bigger then the display (Long story) and no signs of any infection. Remaining fish are an Ocellaris clown, a hippo and a yellow tang ( HAPPY I DIDNT LOSE HIM!!!) both are on the small size just a little bigger than my clown two damsels a 6 line and a pigmy hawk. Ive been doing water changes every three days and everything seems stable. There is Ammonia around .25 on API but so signs of stress. Feeding frozen only to reduce the amount of nutrients and being stingy making sure they all get some. Its working for me so far.

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Lol I know I know. They?re in a 40B and I know that?s still not big enough. They?re no more then 2-3 inches long. They get along very nicely with each other and everyone else. I?ve had them for a little more than a year now. It?s been my experience with these two that it?s definitely possible to have these guys when they?re small in a smaller tank. I plan on keeping them maybe one more year and giving them away to someone with a bigger system.

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As if things couldn?t get worse my quarantine tank started leaking. I had no choice but to move my fish back to the display tank and hope they have an immunity to the velvet in the display. They look very happy and healthy so I?m hoping for the best. I also added some Kordon Ich Attack natural reef safe medication to the reef. I know it may not do anything but it gives me a little bit more peace of mind and helps me sleep better at night. The ?Quarantine? started leaking because it was on an Unlevel surface. I knew this going in but never imagined that it would leak so fast. I expected to take it down in February. It took only a couple of weeks for it to start leaking. Therefore before I throw it out I am giving someone a chance to take it for free. I?ll have it until Saturday and if not no one takes it I will throw it out. Just sucks because it was a brand new 65 Gallon Tall tank that I was planning on setting up on the new year along with another 65 Tall freshwater tank. So I am giving away a 65G Tall (36x18x24) tank that started leaking AND had copper in it. And I am SELLING a brand new, still packaged 65G Tall Glass tank for $100.

Attachments

• 1DA829D6-73DE-4B79-B7C4-EF1F68F8101B.jpg
    1DA829D6-73DE-4B79-B7C4-EF1F68F8101B.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 066ABE96-D349-4AFB-B1EC-5275BC997616.jpg
    066ABE96-D349-4AFB-B1EC-5275BC997616.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 171

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I use cycled real reef live rock for my qt tank for bio filtration. Very simple set up and has never failed me. Along with fresh water dips, cupramine and prazipro.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 3B072518-011C-4B03-94E0-DD12563764B4.jpg
    3B072518-011C-4B03-94E0-DD12563764B4.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 101

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: