ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hi all would like to know what is the protocol of putting people on blast. I had a a member in this forum selling his full tank and he happened to have a pair of flame wrasses male female so I reached out to him via messenger first and. Sent him my number so he responded via text. We came to an agreement of $220 for the wrasses but he wants to sell the tank first so I made sure we had a deal by asking him do we have a deal and he alnowledged. So I texted him a few weeeks later regarding the wrasses and he wasen?t really responsive eventually answered me was pretty rude, said he?s busy and didn?t have time and then a week later I see on MR the tank is sold I texted him again regarding the wrasses and yet to receive a response. So should I disclose the member and the text messages that we had back and forth to show what kind of people are on here. I just feel like the general etiquette is that if you make a deal and you confirm it you should follow through with it. This made me very mad .

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am relatively new on here so im not sure about putting people on blast althought I have seen it before. Also, you can go on their profile and leave a negative feedback on their page.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Just except it as a loss. I look at it as everything happens for a reason. Same situation has happened to me on here with fish, corals and equipment. The worst had to be when I drove over 3 hours to come to the city. Spoke to the person right before I left. Then spoke to the person again as I got off the exit and told them I would be at location in 10 minutes. I get to location and I'm sitting in my car for 45 minutes calling and texting the person and they don't answer. Finally after 15 more minutes the person calls me back and tells me he just sold the fish. Now mind you I already paid for the fish through PayPal. The person tried to keep my money saying I waited too long to pick up the fish when he was the one who arranged the date to pick up. Finally after a month or 2 I got my money back

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Just except it as a loss. I look at it as everything happens for a reason. Same situation has happened to me on here with fish, corals and equipment. The worst had to be when I drove over 3 hours to come to the city. Spoke to the person right before I left. Then spoke to the person again as I got off the exit and told them I would be at location in 10 minutes. I get to location and I'm sitting in my car for 45 minutes calling and texting the person and they don't answer. Finally after 15 more minutes the person calls me back and tells me he just sold the fish. Now mind you I already paid for the fish through PayPal. The person tried to keep my money saying I waited too long to pick up the fish when he was the one who arranged the date to pick up. Finally after a month or 2 I got my money back

But see this is exactly what I am talking about people like this should be pointed out or banned from the forum if they can?t follow the general etiquette. We should start a column such as wall of shame. They have it on the news channel 5 a believe ?shame shame shame ? just pisses me off .

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
First, I have no idea who you are referring to... That being said, if he's leaving the hobby, he may not be concerned with being 'put on blast'... But what could have happened was that the person buying the tank/equipment said that he wanted the wrasses as part of the sale, and the seller was forced to let them go.

IME, unless $ has exchanged hands and the item is in MY possession, the deal is not done or guaranteed.

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Best option IMO is to do it via the reefer ratings that way anyone planning to do business with the person in the future will see it in the ratings. If the person continues to do things like this his rating will be so low nobody would want to do business with the person anymore.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
First, I have no idea who you are referring to... That being said, if he's leaving the hobby, he may not be concerned with being 'put on blast'... But what could have happened was that the person buying the tank/equipment said that he wanted the wrasses as part of the sale, and the seller was forced to let them go.

IME, unless $ has exchanged hands and the item is in MY possession, the deal is not done or guaranteed.

Yes but its a 2 way street, he could have told the other person that the wrasses have been spoken for, its a gentleman's accord we pretty much shook on it in a digital era way where i clearly asked him do we have a deal and he said yes via text message, which to me is a pretty solid thing, so if he did sell it with the tank he should have came forward and confronted me and said hey i sold the tank with the wrasses yada yada.

stage3-S4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Honestly, I'm not sure what putting someone "on blast" will do for you. Its not like its going to help you get the deal you wanted anyway. Now ithere was money exchanged and the seller scammed you, that is a very different situation.

Last edited:

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
so please all tell me whats the point of the market forum if you cant even buy anything! people screw you over even though the deal was acknowledged, yes money was not exchanged but it was negotiated and agreed. Which is still part of purchasing process

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
As someone once told me Welcome to Manhattan reefs
Out of the 50 people that contact you for a sale 1 would actually show up there is no ?handshakes? ?agreements? etc..
people just do what they want drives us all nuts but you can?t really do anything, whether you are buying or selling until the actual transaction is done anything can happen
Putting people on blast can have a negative effect on you people do have (personal) friends here and will defend even if they are wrong
As albino pointed out if they are leaving the hobby they would not care about being put on ?blast?

There can be a million reasons the seller backed out
A friend wanted it
They didn?t want to wait to sell to you
The fish died
He was tired of people flaking on him so he sold at the first opportunity
Buyer took everything
Or he forgot about you

Im not justifying it im just saying it not worth getting caught up in it

Post a request on the want to buy forum you are probably better off not dealing with that person anyway

Last edited:

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
so please all tell me whats the point of the market forum if you cant even buy anything! people screw you over even though the deal was acknowledged, yes money was not exchanged but it was negotiated and agreed. Which is still part of purchasing process

You didn't do anything wrong...and IMO most people (not only here) would try to honor that commitment... But sometimes things change, although I do think that you should have been notified if your deal had to be cancelled

Out of the 50 people that contact you for a sale 1 would actually show up there is no ?handshakes? ?agreements? etc..

I think the statement should be: Welcome to Life... This is everywhere, in every business, on every forum. As we continue to replace human contact with internet connections it will probably only get worse

Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
people just do what they want drives us all nuts but you can?t really do anything, whether you are buying or selling until the actual transaction is done anything can happen
Putting people on blast can have a negative effect on you people do have (personal) friends here and will defend even if they are wrong
As albino pointed out if they are leaving the hobby they would not care about being put on ?blast?

A friend wanted it
The fish died
Buyer took everything
Or he forgot about you

Post a request on the want to buy forum you are probably better off not dealing with that person anyway

100% true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
You didn't do anything wrong...and IMO most people (not only here) would try to honor that commitment... But sometimes things change, although I do think that you should have been notified if your deal had to be cancelled

I think the statement should be: Welcome to Life... This is everywhere, in every business, on every forum. As we continue to replace human contact with internet connections it will probably only get worse

yes i know life is not easy but just what happened to peoples honesty and word just really f'ed up pisses me off.

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0

A friend wanted it
The fish died
Buyer took everything
Or he forgot about you

This is the most accurate thing I've read on this or any forum.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
haha I mean this happens over and over again. you cant really do anything about it other then letting people know so they don't deal with that person again. People always commit and never show up. Its part of this site unfortunately. If that is the case leave a negative reefer rating and people will be able to see when doing business with that person again. Like previous comments welcome to manhatten reefs lol. The world of talkers and flakes. Sorry to hear that man, but just give up and move on. Even if he did sell to the person who bought the tank a courtesy text would have been nice.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Agree with Albano %100 unless I send pay pal to hold I never expect someone to hold something it could of been as simple as someone showed up and made him a good offer on the spot he took it .
Don?t take it personally you will find another flame wrasse in fact just go buy 2 juvi females for 1/2 the price and watch one turn dominant male with in few months
I always ask my self this question as I get older what is there to gain by calling so and so out
Or confronting someone and arguing with them usually come to the conclusion that there?s nothing at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: