reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Depends who you ask what light is the best. There are a lot of high end led lights out there (Ecotech, AI, Kessil, Orphek, GHL) I think they're all pretty similar in performance. It seems some people just prefer some over the other for what ever reason kind of how people have favorite brands of other products like cars, phones, computers, tvs etc.

Personally I've used ecotech and while I love the lights and UI, the light still has several shortfalls compared to the mh/t5s.

If I was in the market for LEDs now I think I would lean more towards the Orphek lights as I like the large surface area of LEDs vs the puck design that many other high end lights have.

Reef Reaper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I have the Ocean Revive Arctic-t247 over my 120 gallon but for Xmas I got AI prime HD over my Ehiem nano and it is amazing the difference, Reefiness!! I am still debating if it is really worth going over to the high end lights. Everything in the tank looks good and there is good growth. The Prime is pretty amazing for a tiny little light with the ability to control from your phone and the preset settings that come with the unit

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I have the Ocean Revive Arctic-t247 over my 120 gallon but for Xmas I got AI prime HD over my Ehiem nano and it is amazing the difference, Reefiness!! I am still debating if it is really worth going over to the high end lights. Everything in the tank looks good and there is good growth. The Prime is pretty amazing for a tiny little light with the ability to control from your phone and the preset settings that come with the unit

the good thing about fixtures like the prime, is that its pretty much the same as the hydra 52 just 1/4 the power. As BRS showed in their video, you can easily buy into primes a few at a time and end u with a very strong light with great coverage at the end. If you like the prime then dont bother going over to ecotech or buying a 52. Just buy another prime.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
How many Prime would I need over a 120 gallon, Reefiness. It is good for the nano but I think a 120 would be too deep?

I think they used 8 on the the 4ft 120 they tested. I'll see if I can find the video later when I get onto my computer and post it here. Basically 8 of them end up being the same cost as 2 radion g4 pros but I think the par measurements were better on the 8 individual primes.

TheTankEMT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
RickRude, my AI Prime HD wireless connection seems to work without any issues. Which light produces the better looking corals and growth?
Your water does that. The lights are barely consequential you need to tune par and spectrum. The g4s provider better spread less spotting/shading and with the diffusers they give an almost t5 look. I didn't have issues with the ai older generations. The hydra 52s gave me a lot of connectivity problems.

AI Top G4 Bottom
200cce37383b8e1e04f01fb9ef6d226e.jpg
cffc5a42eee7f03ca9990e05a641db37.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheTankEMT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Your water does that. The lights are barely consequential you need to tune par and spectrum. The g4s provider better spread less spotting/shading and with the diffusers they give an almost t5 look. I didn't have issues with the ai older generations. The hydra 52s gave me a lot of connectivity problems.

AI Top G4 Bottom
200cce37383b8e1e04f01fb9ef6d226e.jpg
cffc5a42eee7f03ca9990e05a641db37.jpg

I will be the first to say- I believe I was sucked into the hype and marketing from the LED manufacturers. I absolutely prefer t5 for growth and coloration.

Preerecord

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Is it the fact that the AI's aren't better in terms of connectivity?
Isn't it bout par and growth for the system? Are the Ecotechs that far off from the AI's? Because i'm shopping for lights now and looking at both and get mixed opinions. Either way I'm supplementing with T5's...I would love some advice as to which light. My system is a 500g system and i'm doing mixed reef.....Thanks

TheTankEMT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Is it the fact that the AI's aren't better in terms of connectivity?
Isn't it bout par and growth for the system? Are the Ecotechs that far off from the AI's? Because i'm shopping for lights now and looking at both and get mixed opinions. Either way I'm supplementing with T5's...I would love some advice as to which light. My system is a 500g system and i'm doing mixed reef.....Thanks
Both lights can hit far beyond the par range needed. G4s have better spread and par distributuon. Colors are about the same but still subjective.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: