• B4259C85-A7B8-445B-8B52-EBB49AF926EC.jpg
    B4259C85-A7B8-445B-8B52-EBB49AF926EC.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
I never understood the not wanting to do water changes?
Is it
A) Cost?
B) looking to save time (laziness)? Or maybe I should just say inconvenience?
Or
C) Some how one believes the elements in the salt that are being used up by the coral and the inhabitants each week dont need replenishing?

The only time I think this possibly could be effective is if one is sending out their water to be tested and then dosing back elements that are reported back as lacking?
This i could see as being a more precise method especially for a SPS dominant tank.

This still doesn't take into account weekly detritus removal.

To each his own but I think it would be helpful to get a better understanding of someone's validation for their
"The no water chages Reef Tank"

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
10 percent changes a week and your tank will never be weak

a study has shown that anything less 25% is pointless.

because the 10% new water that gets mixed in with the 90% old water will be diluted down and not even a noticeable Factor by the time it comes around to do another 10% water change. I forget exactly where I read it but somewhere it explains it really well on why small water changes are unsustainable because eventually contaminants will become higher then what the water changes can handle
For water changes to be effective they need to be 25% on a weekly basis.

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I never understood the not wanting to do water changes?
Is it
A) Cost?
B) looking to save time (laziness)? Or maybe I should just say inconvenience?
Or
C) Some how one believes the elements in the salt that are being used up by the coral and the inhabitants each week dont need replenishing?

The only time I think this possibly could be effective is if one is sending out their water to be tested and then dosing back elements that are reported back as lacking?
This i could see as being a more precise method especially for a SPS dominant tank.

This still doesn't take into account weekly detritus removal.

To each his own but I think it would be helpful to get a better understanding of someone's validation for their
"The no water chages Reef Tank"

Why do anything thats not necessary. I have seen countless jaw dropping tanks without doing water changes. The only reason to do water changes is to export nutrients and to replace miner and major elements, and if these can be accomplished without a water change then why the hassle of carrying buckets or pumps across your house do water changes. Well the salt companies are diffidently making a killing, plus i think a lot of hobbyist fail because they dont realize that the salt they use have completely different parameters then what they are trying to keep their tank at.

That being said:

A) Cost? Yes why spend on salt when you dont have to.
B) looking to save time (laziness)? Or maybe I should just say inconvenience? Call it what you will but again why do something that not necessary to the success of your reef tank.
C) Some how one believes the elements in the salt that are being used up by the coral and the inhabitants each week dont need replenishing? You can replace it with dosing.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: