JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Slowly coming back into the reefing world after three months of mourning my tank crash due to a week-long electrical outage. I impulse-bought a Deep Blue 12x12 cube today and wondering about filtration. I have an Aquaclear AC 70 (I believe) that I could throw some floss/carbon/etc in and I also have one of those AquaMaxx reactors. I purchased the algae/chaeto growing whatever the heck combo from Marine Depot to try and combat my hair algae problems in the other tank, but never got it dialed-in. It was also a real pain to mount for some reason, but I could use it free standing with this tank. I could also put anything in it, so really looking for recommendations here :).

I do not plan on having any heavy livestock in here. Maybe some inverts and coral.

Thanks in advance! :grouphug:

NStephenson

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I think the answer largerly depends on if that Deep Blue tank has an overflow on it.

If it does I'd recommend using the following in a sump.
-Skimmer!
-Reacter for phosphate removal (Phosban, GFO or etc).
-Growing Macro Algae in refugium chamber, algae scrubber, algae reactor or etc. (this is for additional nutrient export)
-I would also recommend you start with some type of mechanical filtration such as filter floss or filter socks. You can always phase this out later if your system runs well without it.

My setup is similar with a few add-ons, but I think this sort of setup is pretty popular. That might be overkill for your tank size, but I hope this helps with your research at least. Good luck and welcome back to reefing.

Last edited:

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Don't add a false wall, it will eat up too much space like you said. When I had the same size tank I just went with good old water changes every week and that was all it took. You could add a HOB filter to run some a carbon/chemipure/etc in, but aside from that simple will work.

lskywalker5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ac70 did the trick for me when I started out, i ended up just getting a nano HOB skimmer, and doing 10% water changes every few days n i could keep anything. imo you can have a sucessful reef w just working w what u have, just KISS.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: