Chrisk1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
939851a1129a8967d32440b545db8c2e.jpg
449b5bc93063071641b0550947b69623.jpg

What could have happened. Heater said 78. Could it be electrical my 3 favorite clowns and all the corals cooked. I care Home to a horrible smell and tank is feels like it?s actually boiling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
My guess will be heater got stuck. When you say heater says 78 you mean you had it set to 78, but it might have never shut off. With the heat wave this weekend it only got worse.

If it is not heater than the tank just over heated due to weather. Do you have a reliable thermometer to test the tank temp?

Sorry for the losses. :(

thedragoneel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
f491ac80165e5253094206cdf74e912d.png
next time buy this and plug your heater into it. It?s a safety that would of prevented your situation and keeps your tank completely temp consistent. $45 for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
By any chance do you know the actual temperature of the tank water? When the water gets warm the dissolved oxygen levels drop and that can cause the fish to possibly die, (suffocation). Did you have water movement or an air stone in the tank? That would have helped. Sorry for your loss......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Heater failures can be disastrous as they will almost always fail on.
Controllers can be fairly cheap and save you a lot of hassle. They can also be hooked up to chillers or fans to cool in case of a heat wave.
Another thing people do is have underpowered heaters which make severe overheating less likely.

bimmer01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96%
194   8   0
Sorry for your loss. I had my tank running without a chiller and temps were at 82 without any heaters. I now have a chiller running and temps are stable at 78-79.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: