meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I couldn't find the direct line, but they responded promptly to my e-mail. They do not sell direct to the public, and they have a list of vendors on their site. (Perhaps you had a back door connection?)

That being said, they advised me that they are Shipping out every meter that they have in stock to Drs F&S tomorrow. I placed my order prior to posting, to prevent Albert from buying them out again. :lol2:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I still have a phosphate problem, but I am good. Hanna Istruments told me that although Drs. F&S stated on their website that they would not have them in until febuary 23, they assured me that they would have them in sooner than that.

Figuring that nothing good happens fast, I figured I could wait a few days until they got it in.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
um, small problem.
i think i've been talking a bit too soon.
just found out from F&S that my meter is actually backordered till 2/23.
looks like i didnt get it after all. so much for that... oh well...

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
um, small problem.
i think i've been talking a bit too soon.
just found out from F&S that my meter is actually backordered till 2/23.
looks like i didnt get it after all. so much for that... oh well...

Now that's funny.

According to Hanna, they should have them sooner than that.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Matt,
I got one a couple weeks ago. On salifert my phosphates were .03 or lower, but BROWN corals. After getting the hanna meter, I tested my water several times and the phosphates were .18 or so. I've got dual phosban reactors going now and my tests last night came up with .09 and .08. I'm probably just getting used to the meter, but I often do multiple tests in a row and come up with fairly differing answers. Not WAY different, but kinda significant. .18 .14 .22......... and .08 .06 .09 etc.... Maybe its just me but my impression from others was that this thing is unbelievably precise. (obviously I could be doing something wrong in my process).

I can see the point some are making in saying "just run phosban reactors, you need them anyways. Don't spend the money." If you're like me though, you're always wanting to figure out EXACTLY what is going on in the tank and you sure have no clue what your phosphates are if you have a salifert test. Also, if/when something does go wrong in the tank, it is vital to be able to rule out as many potential problems as possible. And if that wasn't enough, if you do have a phosphate problem, you want to eliminate the source. That means checking the ro/di water, calcium reactor, and anything else you put in the tank.

The instructions are pretty good, but these might help as well. (probably gunna get shot by someone for this)
http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4737

Also 200$ is really not that much in my opinion comparred to how much money we throw at our tanks.

Nate

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Ultimately the price was not a problem, I am gonna spend the $200 on my tank, it is just a matter of what it I am going to spend it on.

For about the last year, I have been keeping only SPS. I have seen some major improvment in color over the last few months (After i switched to two part from lime water), but everything has a brown tinge to it. Rich and Chris where trying to help me out after i had a coral RTN on me, and when they looked at a pic of my tank they both said in unison (if thats even possible in a thread) "phosphates".

I had been testing regularly with a salifert test kit. Although I new it was not accurate, I thought that it would at least tell me if they where high or low. Every time I tested it came back zero. I knew this was crap, and my tank was telling me that it was crap, brown corals and some alage growing on the rock.

It should never have gotten that far, but because I had no idea what my phosphate leves where I didn't know that I needed to take corrective action until alage started to pop up on me.

Now I will know, and "knowing is half the battle" (anybody?) and with accurate readings I will at least have an idea if the corrective action I am taking is working or not. As I said at the beggiining of this thread, fighting off phosphates without an accurate test is like swinging at a pinata in a dark room. I might hit, but then again I might not.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I got one a couple weeks ago. On salifert my phosphates were .03 or lower, but BROWN corals. After getting the hanna meter, I tested my water several times and the phosphates were .18 or so. I've got dual phosban reactors going now and my tests last night came up with .09 and .08. I'm probably just getting used to the meter, but I often do multiple tests in a row and come up with fairly differing answers. Not WAY different, but kinda significant. .18 .14 .22......... and .08 .06 .09 etc.... Maybe its just me but my impression from others was that this thing is unbelievably precise. (obviously I could be doing something wrong in my process).
Nate, are you shaking it up too much? It's nothing more than a gentle swirl for a couple of seconds. The differing readings are probably air bubbles or differences in time the regent is in the water.
Are you cleaning out the culvet right away after the test? The regeant stains the bottom of the tube. Rinse it right away in FW then clean the inside out with a Q-Tip. I was getting strange readings at first, then I noticed the blue tint on the bottom.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I think you guys should cancel all your dr. F&S orders and do a group buy. I think we should be able to get together for 5 units + 300 regents.

Maybe louisemustreef.com can help us get his "special" pricing?? :D He sounds like a good vendor with his signature advertisement:lol2:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Nate,
You're not trying to completely dissolve the regent. It's just a swirl for a few seconds. You're leaving the sample in the culvet too long (and probably slightly varying times) which is causing you the inaccuracies.
Think of it like a test kit where you have to read it after 3 minutes. The longer past 3 minutes you leave it, the darker the solution gets and the higher levels appear.
Pierce, we have more vendors on the site than we have good SPS keepers. The advertisements are in your face and getting old. Do we need the reefer rating system anymore if these guys are going to have people post threads of what great information and products they provided? I use our vendors, but SOME of them shouldn't forget that the purpose of this site is the community and sharing of information. Oh well, not the time or the place to discuss this. I'd like to come out and check out what you got going on. :backtotop

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: