Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
Stupid pricing...

Every time I see prices on "colorful" mushroom anemones my jaw drops. Used to buy this stuff for $10 per rock 20 years ago and now single mushrooms sell for upwards of $200+.

If I got $10 for every mushroom I ever gave away that would sell for $50+ now I would have enough money to buy the farm house of my dreams.

I thought it was a fad, but I guess not...

Agora Auctions, Inc. (Ancient, World and US coins & Antiquities)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Reefer Ratings: (37 (97%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
It’s simple supply and demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo De La Fe View Post
Every time I see prices on "colorful" mushroom anemones my jaw drops. Used to buy this stuff for $10 per rock 20 years ago and now single mushrooms sell for upwards of $200+.

If I got $10 for every mushroom I ever gave away that would sell for $50+ now I would have enough money to buy the farm house of my dreams.

I thought it was a fad, but I guess not...
+1

Coral pricing has just become ridiculous now.... smh
Old 09-18-2018, 04:23 PM
I really don't think that is it. There is enough of a supply. It is more of a marketing thing. The perception of scarcity plus the consumer with more money than common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
It’s simple supply and demand.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:33 PM
Reefer Ratings: (23 (90%)
Friends: (26)
Send a Private Message
Just had this same convo with a buddy of mine the other day. How the prices and names of things have gotten ridiculous. I paid $15 a head for a torch. Saw someone selling the same torch but added/put a name of it and was selling it for $75 a head. Now your gonna ask how do I know it was the same torch? Cause myself and the person selling his bought it from the same person
Old 09-18-2018, 04:57 PM
Send a Private Message
The demand causes the prices to rise. Now in New York with all the hobbies and lfs the prices are lower but if you live in New Mexico or Arizona that’s a different story. So wwc can sell a frag for 300. They only need a few people to buy it.

Now yes these 100-300 mushrooms are s pot nicer than the cheap ones you got 20 years ago. It’s not really comparing apples to apples
Plus jaw breakers from the wild melt like crazy. Once you have a domestic strain it tends to be hardy. But why would I sell you mine for 10 when plenty will pay 150-250. You call them fools. They might be. But someone paying 250-1000 for air Jordon’s isn’t any smarter

Old 09-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (23 (90%)
Friends: (26)
Send a Private Message
I beg to differ. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one personally like the cheap mushrooms better than these so called high ends. I don’t see what the craze is about bounce mushrooms. But that’s what makes and keeps this hobby interesting. Something going for $1000 now could be $100 next year. Check out those lighting clowns. Remember the prices on them when they first came out? Now look at there prices. Can’t give them away
As far as sneakers go if I could buy a fish or coral guaranteed to live forever or until I decide to throw away or give away I absolutely would pay the big money. Sneakers we can have forever, corals and fish we can not
Old 09-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Send a Private Message
Don’t know about sneaker lasting forever. I am on my 5th pair since I bought my clownfish.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:16 PM
I personally think the bounce mushrooms are ugly... I remember when neon green toadstools were rare as hens teeth and sold for a couple hundred bucks. Now everyone has one.

Start talking SPS and LPS and it gets even crazier.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo De La Fe View Post
I personally think the bounce mushrooms are ugly... I remember when neon green toadstools were rare as hens teeth and sold for a couple hundred bucks. Now everyone has one.

Start talking SPS and LPS and it gets even crazier.

No one wants green toadstools

Your confusing rare with supply and demand.

There are quota on my sps corals and nicer lps. While they might not be rare In wild. And endless supply of then.

20 years ago no one could keep sps so demand wasn’t high