Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Regal tang

Hey so I've had a yellow belly blue/regal tang for some 5 years now, hes always been fine until this week, hes been hiding behind the rockwork in the same little area for 3 days not eating anything just swimming in place opening and closing his mouth rapidly. I added an airstone just in case it was the oxygen but stayed the same. All other tangs are fine, I checked the water 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia the nitrate was abit high though maybe its that? But everyone else is fine...anyway the regal does look abit off color grayish blueish looking and its possible some of the other tangs maybe showing him some aggression (though everyones been peaceful for months and he was one of the first fish in)

Outside the nitrate and possible aggression idk what else could have done this, any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Any swings on ph or alk?? Or even salinity?? I wouldnt put airstone i have heard in past(might be wrong) if it was amonia (which you said 0) the oxygen makes it worse... but i i could be wrong dont quote me on that
Old 03-08-2019, 09:45 PM
Dre
Reefer Ratings: (95 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
If the Nitrate is high, why don't you change the water???
Old 03-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Send a Private Message
@DRE Of course this was my first move, just asking if anyone thinks it might be something else, his mouth opening is slower then before but is still going on and he refused to eat again
Old 03-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Reefer Ratings: (92 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Most likely parasites or flukes.

I would fresh water dip to see if it is flukes.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:09 AM
Send a Private Message
@heuerfan This isnt a new fish I've had him 5 or 6 years now and havent added anything new to this tank in about a year as well