Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Question Who's been to the LIRA frag swap before ?

I'm thinking of going to the lira swap next Saturday, I've never been to it. How is the selection? any deals ? I'm kinda torn because reefapalooza is at the end of June. If I go to one ,I work t go to the other . What are your opinions?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Saltwater since 1973
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (84)
Send a Private Message
LIRA swap... of course there will be selection and deals, but more importantly, you’ll meet local reefers and store owners that you’ll be able to contact anytime you need something in the future.

Jan. 2011 Manhattan Reefs TOTM
800g upgrade-NOW with CORALS and FISH in the TANK!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
Come to both ....the lira swap will be great this year a ton of great vendors ,speakers ,raffles ,and like albano said you meet some great knowledgeable people
Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie7144 View Post
I'm thinking of going to the lira swap next Saturday, I've never been to it. How is the selection? any deals ? I'm kinda torn because reefapalooza is at the end of June. If I go to one ,I work t go to the other . What are your opinions?
speaking totally honestly, if you are only going to go to one, which I think would be a mistake, but understand if its because of money, I would go to Reefapalooza. Being a national event, the shear amount of vendors, plus dry goods and freebies and networking you can do is great.

That being said, being a Long Islander, I would go to the LIRA swap 100%. You'll meet lots of locals and you'll definitely get some better deals in your favor. Last year was Year 1 and for their first time, it was impressive. This year only looks to improve. And I know the guys at LIRA are passionate and will make this event memorable. I'm truly disappointed I already have plans day of and will miss it.

Just go to both =)
Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (58)
Send a Private Message
For a vendor at reefapalooza their spot costs them I believe 1k at lira it’s 9x less. Which venue do you think will have the better deals?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke62 View Post
For a vendor at reefapalooza their spot costs them I believe 1k at lira it’s 9x less. Which venue do you think will have the better deals?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (26 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
I personally go to both. I ended up getting a ton more stuff from the LIRA swap. The deals were much better. There was a great selection of corals. I was able to find everything that I wanted. Like others said you get to meet local reefers that you can trade with down the road. You also dont have thousands of people competing for the same coral. At RAP they know X amount of people are interested in the coral so why cut a deal.

If you can go to RAP, I would. If nothing more go for the experience. Even if you don't purchase anything. Its huge and great experience. A lot of the corals were higher end. Not that LIRA didn't have high end corals but the prices were much higher. When I walk around and find something I like you have to jump on it otherwise when you come back someone else might have already purchased it.

If your looking for deals and the best price. LIRA