duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Does anyone grow out colonies anymore?

So I left the hobby back in 2016, came back in 2018 to see guys who have been in the hobby for years still have just frags in their DT. Does anyone grow out their reefs anymore or is it all about cutting and selling? Is the need for the fad corals forcing people to get rid of their old corals that grew in their system? And this new wave of growing corals in their DT on frag plugs using large disks so they can be pulled out for easier fragging is extremely ugly. I see it everyday on social media. Then saw another guy who asked people who wants frags from acros that were frags themselves. Very strange if you ask me. What is going on with this hobby lol

Last edited:

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I think its due to the fact that some many expensive acros out now. Back in in 2016 it was chalice and zoas. When an acro costs 500 a 1/2 inch people like to get their money back once it starts growing. Also the fact that their are sooo many nice acros out now people just pack out there tanks and they end up way to close to each other with no room to grow.(this is my problem so im going for a mini colony tank LOL)

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Back when I did have SPS, once the colony was about 4 inches across, ie pink birds nest, it would start dying out in the center from self shading. Then the algae grew on the exposed skeleton, which the tangs couldn't reach, then eventually it died out. I'd cut a piece off it and start it over again. Seemed to be the natural order of branching corals as the reef grew, it has to die out at the base.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think a real nice display tank is a combination of art and science. I true work of art has a balance of type of coral, rock, color, and free space. I'm sure there are plenty of reefers that have this type of DT.... they just don't frag as much and sell them on this forum. Many of us just have a collection of coral, thus the frags and mini-colonies... cutting and making room for the next new thing from the LFS. It takes some type of discipline to let those few frags grow to colonies, leave things alone for a few months (or years), and let the tank mature into a work of art.

I haven't seen a frag that I don't like... therefore I have a collection of coral and not that mature work of art.

...Guilty.

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
To some people a 2" multi branch on a frag disk is a colony :D

Lol, for last 30 years or more Frag mean Frag , i mean 3/4" , 1" , but 2"multi branch on 3" plug is not frag for sure. Ppl. try to grow dif. corals today ( W.D. ,H.W, Black S. Matt V. Rainbow etc.) for few ppl. frags stay frags for ever, for some go out of water. I use to have 12"-14"-16" even bigger Acro , grow from 1" frag. But guess what , very few ppl. appreciate the size , they go by color and how you may...........frag it .lol.

Some ppl. sale frags , less then 1/2" or close to 1" , may cost $ 1.000 up i see some $ 2,700 just 1", may take 2 years to grow " 2" multi branch " , not sure if you still calling frag.

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Lol, for last 30 years or more Frag mean Frag , i mean 3/4" , 1" , but 2"multi branch on 3" plug is not frag for sure.

A few years ago this was considered a small frag. Unfortunately now this is the problem , people think a 2" multi branch on 3" plug is a colony.

What would you call a 10" multi branch?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I guess I?m in the minority in wanted a full blown grown out reeftank. I have a few mini colonies already and I would not cut these until I have corals big enough you wouldn?t notice when they are cut. I actually laughed out loud seeing this guy on FB asking people who wants a frag off a acro that was encrusted and has 3 nuns popping off. And I see pics of guys tanks from before I left still looking like they just set up there tank with small frags

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
A few years ago this was considered a small frag. Unfortunately now this is the problem , people think a 2" multi branch on 3colony. " plug is a

What would you call a 10" multi branch?

I will call also...............Frag.

If i go to Florida , scuba and cut one piece 10" from 2 foot colony , put in my tank how i will call .......Frag ?

Try to grow a coral from 3/32" to........." 2" multi branch on 3" plug" then you tell me how you call,lol.

Yes, i did that ,not once, not $ 20 coral.

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I will call also...............Frag.

If i go to Florida , scuba and cut one piece 10" from 2 foot colony , put in my tank how i will call .......Frag ?

Try to grow a coral from 3/32" to........." 2" multi branch on 3" plug" then you tell me how you call,lol.

Yes, i did that ,not once, not $ 20 coral.

Yeah yeah yeah, blah, blah blah.......... :tired:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: