Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (58 (98%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
TRIDENT new today at RAP

Grabbed a new trident today at RAP. There were three available at the show. I got mine based on a pre arranged cash plus coral swap. One other was sold right away at MSRP the other was being sold as part of a package deal only (had to buy an Apex system, DOS,DDR, and one or two other big ticket items) Got it home and setup was relatively easy especially in comparison to the hard time I’ve had with some other Neptune products. It’s in the process right now of running my first round of tests. It pretty much sets itself up with priming etc. I will post my results vs my usual Red Sea results. I’ll give my honest opinion on the value and quality and ease or difficulty of use and maintenance. I have DOS & DDR so I plan on using the interface to attempt to keep my levels more stable throughout the day.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 06-22-2019, 09:40 PM
Send a Private Message
Feel free to ask questions or specific details. If I can answer accurately I will.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:57 PM
Send a Private Message
Test results

I have to test with my Red Sea kit at the same time. The Trident results seem a little higher than my test from yesterday with the Red Sea test. But I did do a water change this afternoon. The Alk seems to be in the ballpark, but probably 0.5 higher than my usual high end readings as I try to keep my Alk at 8.0. But my Ca is usually right at 400 and my Mg is usually 1300-1500 depending on how many times I added the solution that week. (I dose Mg manually as I only have the one DOS. Might buy another but then my dilemma would be do I dose a 4 trace element? I’d hate to have one being unused.)
Attached Thumbnails

Old 06-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Reefer Ratings: (69 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
I have a 4 head ghl doser and use the 4th to dose acro power
Old 06-23-2019, 08:00 PM
Send a Private Message
Acro power

I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:01 PM
Send a Private Message
Also according to the information I’m getting about the trident it takes about a week for the tests to settle in and really become reliable.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:14 AM
Reefer Ratings: (37 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
TRIDENT new today at RAP

Yea is true .. it takes about a week and you still may have to test for the week after ..My readings were a bit of but after calibration , the Trident reading became close to perfect readings (“”-“”) this was about a month ago ...A+ for Neptune systems !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Aggi; 06-24-2019 at 08:02 AM..
Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIPERVIPER View Post
Feel free to ask questions or specific details. If I can answer accurately I will.

Is this a stand alone unit or do you need an apex to run it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (41 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnt View Post
Is this a stand alone unit or do you need an apex to run it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You need the newer Apex to run it.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Send a Private Message
Ok so on the left are my Red Sea test results on the right trident results. I think the trident is off because I’ve been running my tank for over two years and have consistently gotten these numbers through Red Sea testing. So it’s not and old kit. I’m going to borrow test kits of a different brand and do a comparison. Also might run the calibration on the trident. I was told it comes calibrated but then was told different on this thread.

Alk 8.4 — 9.37
Ca 410 — 507
Mg 1280 - 1612