Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2019, 06:31 PM
Reefer Ratings: (14 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
I would add an espresso bar, use trendy wood colors with metal, etc.. Stores look so outdated in our hobby. Generally a very lackluster experience especially for new potential non hobbyists.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Real Estate and Reefs
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (14)
Send a Private Message
This hobby is like a drug addiction. The amount of $$$$ that we need to spend just to get the latest equipment and the most colorful fishes and corals is really at an all time high in my opinion. It's just crazy how much people spend on their fish tanks.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
I get my equipment from local stores, since if something breaks... I want them to still be around when I need a replacement during the same day, and not in a week from now.

Plus with prices being fixed for main brands... there is really no advantage in shopping online.

The only exception is for stuff I cannot find locally (aka in Manhattan, eg: ESV salt), then I will get it online.

Side note: local stores should still be able to make money off fish... cannot really frag a yellow tang ;-)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
It's getting ridiculously expensive, from Live stock to hard ware, stores selling memberships, taking a purple torch and calling it a black torch or a black light torch and charging 5x what it's really worth, or charging $ 1000 buck or a single zoa polyp. It's taking alot of the joy and fun out of the hobby
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 AM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie7144 View Post
It's getting ridiculously expensive, from Live stock to hard ware, stores selling memberships, taking a purple torch and calling it a black torch or a black light torch and charging 5x what it's really worth, or charging $ 1000 buck or a single zoa polyp. It's taking alot of the joy and fun out of the hobby
So true, I remember mushroom $5. Now it's ridiculous . Zoe also $5 a head. Easy to grow and crazy priced today. Today equipments is nice options but how many whistles you want is up to you. Price on fish basically been fair. Some take advantage especially online. So by judging looks like the coral is where it got most expensive. That's the bigger demand today.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:33 PM
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
One thing I am wondering about is really how long people stay in the hobby now compared to how long they did in the past.

Nowadays I see many people start a "tank build" on forums, then 6 months later are in the "leaving the hobby, selling equipment" section, I would assume that corals do not get passed that much from person to person through fragging, and rather get bought and just die.

So it does not really come as a surprise that coral prices stay high.

The hobby is easier due to forums/equipment/availability. But I feel that a lot of people do not do their homework about the one thing that money does not buy: patience.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Firstly, yes I reside in Spring Hill, FL..."BUT" I'm a native New York born in L.E.S. lower Eastside Manhattan. That is why, I joined this forum. Is the closet I'll be to New York City. Onto this thread , there's a lot of speculation, questions and reasons why? Having a LFS it's a big risk and less not forget a large amount of capital investment especially in New York City. There are many buyers, that will always find something to complaint about a store, the fish looks poor, not enough livestock inventory, or the prices are too high. I'm not a business owner, a retired, who loves the hobby continuously for 15 years or more. Now we have many online stores, making it more difficult for the LFS. 90% online stores are home based. Regardless, all stores get they're livestock from the same distributors. So if you believe purchasing from an online store the quality is better all because the price is 10-15% cheaper it still adds up after you pay the shipping cost. Ecotech products are MAP so whoever sell there product is all the same price, whether online or at your LFS. I rather pickup mines at the LFS, support my sponsors the ones paying yearly fees on MR. Now you have many basement frag tanks selling corals, ok. I'm a firm believer there's nothing wrong with making a little money on the side. **** gotta pay the rent. But honestly, those selling a polyp for $750-$1000 they don't have an aquaculture certification, reseller tax certificate. Bet you don't probably don't pay member fees. I breed clownfish rarely new to breeding, I have an aquaculture certificate and reseller certificate in the state of Florida. I have sold clownfish at highest $75 per clownfish and my thread was deleted. Now I'm a born and raised American in the United States. Pay my taxes ad now retired at 62 years of age. There's nothing wrong with the hobby! Is these stealth sellers, selling these high-end corals out of their basement.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Thatguy96
Reefer Ratings: (93 (100%)
Friends: (35)
Send a Private Message
I'm all about supporting the LFS but I'm also all about making a few friends in the hobby you can trade with. I know this is tough for the newbies that are just starting to figure things out but the prices are pretty nuts fr corals these days!
Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Reefer Ratings: (14 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Here is one definition of a hobby from Wikipedia:

"A hobby is a regular activity done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time, not professionally and not for pay. Hobbies include collecting themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, or pursuing other amusements. Participation in hobbies encourages acquiring substantial skills and knowledge in that area. A list of hobbies changes with renewed interests and developing fashions, making it diverse and lengthy. Hobbies tend to follow trends in society, for example stamp collecting was popular during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries as postal systems were the main means of communication, while video games are more popular nowadays following technological advances. The advancing production and technology of the nineteenth century provided workers with more availability in leisure time to engage in hobbies. Because of this, the efforts of people investing in hobbies has increased with time.

According to the serious leisure perspective, a hobby is an enduring serious leisure pursuit having no significant professional counterpart and being too poorly remunerated to constitute a livelihood.[1] Hobbyists are distinguished from Amateurs, who do have professional counterparts (e.g., professional actors, scientists, entertainers, athletes) and from specialized career volunteers with their interest in altruistically serving other people."

Most important are the first few words: A hobby is a regular activity done for enjoyment

LFS stores looking not so good, high prices of equipment, corals are one thing but I think most people leave in the end because the hobby is not enjoyable and expensive,

Just this weekend, my tank took an unexpected turn for the worst. For no apparent reason the breaker trip and the pumps shut off for a bit. I think I noticed this within a few hours or less, turned the pumps back on and all seemed ok. Starting the day after some SPS started to turn. 1 fish died and I am clueless as to why. So will do the needful: water changes, etc. This was a good year and a and half things going ok. Believe me, I wanted to leave the hobby. I will stick with it, but by no means is this fun, it is quite the opposite. So who needs a hobby like this where things can turn south so fast, the high costs, the responsibility to maintain to perfection and consistently. I did this to have a nice thing to look forward to after work not another burden and difficulty, pressure to maintain etc..

To me, this is the core of it.....if people were so enamored with our hobby they would stay in it........but it is in reality an extra burden and responsibility to an unacceptable extreme for a hobby that most people don't want. They want relaxation and fun.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Reefer Ratings: (12 (100%)
Send a Private Message
I think this hobby has become insane.........

Here is one of the reasons
Attached Thumbnails