Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 06:19 PM
Reefer Ratings: (49 (100%)
Friends: (8)
Send a Private Message
That’s really nice of you! I still don’t know what’s caused this. But if I can get to the bottom of it and fix the problem, I’m game if you are. I had that pair of clownfish for over 10 years and really loved them.

I’ve ruled out a salinity problem. My refractometer is good and the reading was confirmed by a Instant Ocean swing arm hydrometer. I’ve got a TDS meter for my RO/DI getting delivered Wednesday and I’m going to take my water to Manhattan Aquariums tomorrow and get it tested. In the meantime I’ve added an air stone and a mesh bag of carbon in addition to the Polyfilter for extra filtration.

As of right now the filefish and the cleaner shrimp are still alive, but the snails, money cowries and soft corals are not looking good at all.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:27 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoous View Post
probably not the ro/di water but then why add prime? how did you keep your live rock before the transfer?
I added the prime out of an abundance of caution once things started go go wrong.. I kept it in Rubbermaid tubs full of water and power heads. Did this with the fish and corals too. Everything was good until the water change on Friday using my freshly made RO/DI.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:58 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Did you purge the ro first
Old 07-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (28 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Ever think of an ammonia spike? Check ammonia to see if that could be a cause.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Send a Private Message
No, but it was a brand new membrane.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynfc View Post
Ever think of an ammonia spike? Check ammonia to see if that could be a cause.
I’ll make sure they check it when I have them test my water tomorrow. Though dosing with prime should have helped that.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
Did u do any basic water parameter testing? Regardless if u had a problem or not after setting up, a full battery of testing should be done at least once a week to make sure things are where they should be and if there is a problem you can catch it early.

I'm willing to bet they will indicate a problem.

Last edited by dakotakid846; 07-23-2019 at 06:43 PM..
Old 07-23-2019, 06:43 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
Well regardless...let us know what u find was the cause, if u find a cause. Others may find themselves in the same boat one day.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermeez View Post
That’s really nice of you! I still don’t know what’s caused this. But if I can get to the bottom of it and fix the problem, I’m game if you are. I had that pair of clownfish for over 10 years and really loved them.

I’ve ruled out a salinity problem. My refractometer is good and the reading was confirmed by a Instant Ocean swing arm hydrometer. I’ve got a TDS meter for my RO/DI getting delivered Wednesday and I’m going to take my water to Manhattan Aquariums tomorrow and get it tested. In the meantime I’ve added an air stone and a mesh bag of carbon in addition to the Polyfilter for extra filtration.

As of right now the filefish and the cleaner shrimp are still alive, but the snails, money cowries and soft corals are not looking good at all.

If I may say get to a fish store and buy 15 or 20 gallons of RODI water and do a water change and also get a charcoal bag and some charcoal and put it in the sump .. it possibly will detox the water and f course match the temp to your water and double check the salt make sure salt is at 1023

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Send a Private Message
I took some of the tank’s water to Manhattan Aquariums and they tested everything for me. All of the water parameters were within normal limits for a reef tank. So, it’s looking like the source water is the problem. At least it wasn’t something stupid that I screwed up.

I bought a couple boxes of NutriSeawater while I was there and I’m temporarily moving what surviving softies I can into a 5g bucket of the stuff. I’ll put the filefish and the cleaner shrimp in another bucket and run an air stone and a power head in there. They should be ok while I try and get to the bottom of this.

I also bought a Triton Labs test and will send them a sample for a full water analysis. They test for 35 different things and if they don’t come back with something wrong, I’ll be surprised. I may also go to Home Depot and get one of the kits they sell there that test for contaminants like pesticides etc. and see what it shows.

The thing is, I’m drinking this water, my cats are drinking it and I’m using it in my freshwater loach tank too. Incidentally none of the Loaches have died or shown signs of stress, but the water has been consistently cloudy since I moved to this apartment last month. I thought it was odd, but nothing more until now. If there is something bad in my tap water I want to know.