Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Reefer Ratings: (49 (100%)
Friends: (8)
Send a Private Message
Help WTF Happened???

I moved to a new apartment about a month ago. Set up the 45g reef tank with new live substrate and used Natures Ocean to fill the tank until I could get my 6 stage RO/DI unit squared away. Other than a serious slime algae outbreak things were OK.

I had trouble with RO/DI because after hooking it up to the source water, flow out of the unit was almost non-existent. It took 4 weeks of trial and error to figure it out, but turns out it was caused by a new .5 micron carbon block that I got from BRS. It was dramatically impeding flow. So, I swapped it out with a 2nd GAC cartridge and we were good to go. Or so I thought.

I mixed up about 30g of saltwater using my usual Reef Crystals on friday and changed the water. I've changed that volume regularly on this tank for a couple of years with no problems. I also put in new Polyfilter pads which I used as the primary filtration on the tank. All the hard corals were dead within 24 hours making for a soupy mess and the soft corals were all closed. So, yesterday I did another water change and added a dose of Seachem Prime dechlor for good measure. Now my mated pair of clownfish are dead and the soft corals are still closed. When I left for work there was one fish (an aiptasia eating filefish) and a cleaner shrimp still alive. I'm afraid everything will be dead when I get home.

I don't know what went wrong. Even if the source water had something funky in it that managed to get past the 6 stage RO/DI, the Polyfilter should have caught it. What the hell can/should I do???

Last edited by cybermeez; 07-22-2019 at 06:24 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Real Estate and Reefs
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (14)
Send a Private Message
is it an old tank? did you check your ro/di water tds?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Send a Private Message
I've had the tank a while, and the live rock etc. is no new. Only the substrate was new due to moving the tank. I don't have a TDS meter, but guess I'll be getting one. You really think TDS would kill fish?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Real Estate and Reefs
Send a Private Message
probably not the ro/di water but then why add prime? how did you keep your live rock before the transfer?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Real Estate and Reefs
Send a Private Message
did you test your nitrites?

Last edited by Zoous; 07-22-2019 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: added more
Old 07-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoous View Post
did you test your nitrites?
No, because this was brand new water. Also I figured the Polyfilter and Prime would have dealt with that.

Last edited by cybermeez; 07-22-2019 at 01:25 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Reefer Ratings: (5 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I bet what ever you use to check salinity as your making the water is bad I had it happen to me my hydrometer was reading 1.026 but my water was really 1.045
Old 07-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Send a Private Message
How's the water temperature? Tank could have over heated with this heat wave
Old 07-22-2019, 03:09 PM
Send a Private Message
It's been OK. I have AC and was home all weekend. This has me so bummed!
Old 07-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Hi I am very sorry for your loss the reason I am contacting you is because of last weeks power outage I lost all my precious fish and about 3500 dollars of my treasured coral . I was gonna call it quits bit this hobby brings me to much joy so I am gonna take one more stab at it , I am reaching out to you because I am going to attempt to rebuild my tank and I'd like to help you do the same . I am going to search for any good deals or kind people and I'd like to cut you in on anything i acquire,,, happy reefing let's rebuild