Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Question whats going on with torches?

Whats going on with torches? Im seeing prices upto $300 a head, are they not being imported or something?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
indo ban. the greed is astounding but yes that's it. the aussie corals aren't as stunning or as hardy
Old 08-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I guess it depends on the coral too though right? I remember a couple of years ago at RAP a vendor was telling me that the elegance corals from indo were not very hardy and died out quickly and that the aussies were better. Idk

And as far as the greed, Its a shame, really is. I can see vendors trying to increase prices that much but fellow hobbyists? lets say (god forbid) corals went extinct in the wild, xenia prices will increase to $50 a stalk? I mean It would be great if the community at least tried to maintain and keep their "prices" to help in the propagation of these creatures, but I guess that's not the world we live in right?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 PM
papa newbie
Reefer Ratings: (62 (100%)
Friends: (48)
Send a Private Message
indo, tha/malayi, fiji - all closed presently. it's ironic that the mariculture and aquaculture companies have been growing out lots of stock but unable to export. if/when they do open up, the prices will certainly drop. until then, many are willing to wait. it comes down to want vs need. i need to feed my family first.

it's unfortunate of the limited variety of aussie/tonga/micronesia coral selections - so tired of seeing the same overpriced items on DD/LA. even worse, most of the frags out there are so ridiculously overpriced esp when the plug is 50% larger than the actual coral!

Last edited by ohana888; 08-13-2019 at 05:58 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Reefer Ratings: (94 (99%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
It’s not only torches unfortunately. Anything that has a fancy name or is desirable.