Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Yes, I believe vinegar solutions are the usual method for dealing with calcium deposits and cleaning tanks/equipment in general. The 10% bleach solution is for sterilizing and killing diseases, parasites, algae spores, etc, when starting a new tank using old materials, usually limited to the dry rocks. I would not have thought of using bleach solution on glass/sealant itself, but if you feel you have a particular problem with something like bryopsis, that you feel is recontaminating your tank. the bleach solution is an option. I'd do a wipe down rather than a fill and wait approach.

Last edited:

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
What he asked

I answered what he asked. Vinegar is good for certain applications. (Breakdown calcium deposits, cleaning pumps) but he can absolutely use diluted bleach to clean at tank and not damage the silicone as I have done it numerous times. It?s great for killing algae or sterilization. After he?s done I said rinse it out well and leave it in the sun to dry. Sunlight kills the chlorine in the bleach. But he?s not obligated to follow what I said.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys. I thought about using bleach due to having been overrun with bubble algae, wanted to make sure to kill any spores. I actually left the tank circulating with water/bleach mixture for about 5 days while I was away. I?m currently rinsing with fresh water. I won?t be able to take the tank outside in the sun. The bleach smell was all gone though. I?ll rinse a few times then air dry. The seams still looked good.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
While breaking down there were a couple of days when it would have been easy to just get out. However, I?m already looking forward to rebuilding. It?s great to have a mature tank, but starting up is also exciting.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: