johnsonpics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey Everyone,

As we all know, we need mechanical filtration in reef tanks. The common material for that are various types of filter floss/ pads, or filter socks. I was wondering if anyone has heard of any natural alternatives to these. I'm not talking "Organic" or anything. Just something that isn't made of plastic and just thrown into a landfill.

Thanks!

johnsonpics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Socks can be washed and reused for years...
Hey Albano,

I have an All in One tank, so I don't personally use commercially made socks. In the past I've taken a friends used socks and made my own DIY versions to fit my tank. They work great, but I was just wondering if there's an alternative to not having to use them in the first place.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
hmm. nothing organic is going to survive under these conditions. Cotton will break down, I'm guessing any natural fiber will also (except hair), which is why polyesters are used. If you want to recycle something, as a filter, hmm, any old clothes will do, you just have to layer on enough of it. dish sponges or canvas (burlap) also seem to last a long time.

johnsonpics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
hmm. nothing organic is going to survive under these conditions. Cotton will break down, I'm guessing any natural fiber will also (except hair), which is why polyesters are used. If you want to recycle something, as a filter, hmm, any old clothes will do, you just have to layer on enough of it. dish sponges or canvas (burlap) also seem to last a long time.
I've been contemplating making filter socks out of old t-shirts. I figure if I'm using and throwing away filter floss once a week, cotton would last just as long in salt water, and I'd be throwing the shirts away anyway.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: