richwill

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the notes about my site. I'm still trying to wrangle some information out of Neptune about a few proprietary commands to complete the feature set of the site. In particular although I can turn devices on and off, retrieve data, and retreive the controller program, I can't change the program or time/temperature tables. Neptune's software can, but they don't document those serial port commands. Here's a snippet from the latest email I received directly from Neptune:

>Changing the program and tables is only possible through AquaNotes. The
>commands to perform these actions are not documented or supported. The main
>reason why is because they are just too complex, and if misused can crash
>the controller.

Of course this isn't true and I'm not settling for it. If I have to, I'll reverse engineer the AquaNotes program. It'd just be much easier if I could get them to help. I think they are nervous about loosing revenue on their AquaNotes product, but, heck, you'd think they'd be happy about other people adding functionality to their product!

When the feature set is done I think I'll make it available under a voluntary shareware model, i.e. pay a small donation if you're happy with it, or nothing if you're not. If you make the donation I'll glady help you with setting up a site, which can be a little tricky. If not, you're on your own. I'll also make the source available. So, if others want to improve upon it, they can.

theringnebula

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Neptune Sys. about a month ago to ask if they were making any sort of web interface or software that will email you. They guy told me that they NEVER discuss future projects until they are finished and ready to make a press release. I told him that I just don't want to invest $500 bucks into this only to have a "bigger and better" product come out soon. He then said that they are working on updated software and it will have "cool features" but that was it.

BTW I would gladly pay to be able to use that software as I think that the whole web-interface is the way to go.

Do you have to use the x10 2-way units to be able to tell if the device is on or off, or do you rely on the fact that the AquaController thinks it's on or off.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: theringnebula ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: