Josh's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How am I supposed to plag this thing in? its got open end wires. for 275 bucks you would think the japanese would put a plug on the damd thing.
icon_mad.gif

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a well known fact that the Japanese Iwaki's do not have plugs on the end. Well, I was told when I bought mine any way. Go to Home Depot, buy a good 3 pronged plug (grounded plug) and wire it. Ground (green wire)goes to ground (green screw), then the other two wires do not matter which side they get wired to. If you are unsure ask the HD employee in the electrical dept. He/she should be able to help. HTH

Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
for 275 bucks you would think the japanese would put a plug on the damd thing.

You mean you didn't order that option?
icon_wink.gif

You did get the leather seats, tho, right?

Seriously, the reason there is no plug is that these units are built for export and since they don't know what countries electrical config. it's going to be used in, they let the end user put the proper plug on.

theringnebula

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myreef: It would work either way, but doesn't it matter for safety reasons which way you wire it. Isn't that why they have polarized plugs

Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wes is correct. It does matter which wire goes where.

On standard three wire plugs/receptacles, the round prong/hole is always ground (green), the larger prong/slot is neutral (white), and the small prong/slot is hot (black). There are inexpensive testers available that you just plug in to the outlet. Three little lights will glow to tell you if something is reversed or missing.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Emmitt ]

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emiit and Wes, I have never worried about the other two just the ground. Does it do any harm otherwise? I would like to know....hmmmmm you mean I need to check all my plugs I have wired? DOH!

Blowfishaq

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
myreef yes it does matter. The black wire goes on the gold screw and the white wire goes on the silver screw. The green wire goes on the green screw.

Bryan

Styk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how does it matter. Everything still works without any problems if you switch the wires.

What about old houses that have both prongs the same size?

Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an electrician, so I hope this will suffice. It is an issue of safety. It doesn't matter for a two-wire single phase load at all. The relative +/- polarity is changing back and forth 120 times/sec anyway. However, for safety reasons, it's important to keep track of which side is hot to ground and which is not.

However, the hot side is hot to ground and the neutral side isn't. And the switches in any applicances plugged in will be in the hot side. So if you don't maintain proper polarity, the innards of anything plugged in will be hot to ground all the time. This is most important for plug-in lamps, pumps and so forth. If you plug a lamp into a backwards outlet or reverse the wiring in a plug, then the outer screw shell will be hot, and hot all the time it's plugged in whether the switch is on or not. When you go to touch it and your not grounded, nothing happens. If you do happen to be grounded, well, you'll find out why it's important!

icon_eek.gif

Ever touch an old appliance in your basement or an old lamp that's been repaired over and over and get zapped??? That's why. Besides, it's the code and it's professional.

Hope this helps????
icon_wink.gif

The Bluedevil

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Josh, I thought that was funny!
icon_biggrin.gif
It reminded me of the day i bought a printer and got home from the store to findout it doesnt come with a cable.
icon_mad.gif
Stuff like this might be common knowledge to some, but then there's people like me!
icon_wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by myreef:
<STRONG>I would like to know....hmmmmm you mean I need to check all my plugs I have wired? DOH!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, looks like we won't be seeing myreef for a while. Jeez Andy, I knew that.
icon_razz.gif

John@Carline

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROTFLMAO!!!!! Should have gotten the WMD(American) version, both the MD and WMD are built identically now, both are identical in output(amps),db level, and for the big kicker, you just paid a good chunky export tax on top of it(thats why they cost more)!!And on top of it, you get to go to HD to get a plug and have to put in your own labor to wire it!! Should have supported your own boys here in the good ol US of A!! They would have given u a plug at least!

RUaBatfish2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John, it sounds like he bought a larger Iwaki for $275. I think the American version only goes up to a Iwaki 40? Iwaki 70 and 100 are only Japanese built I think.

RUaBatfish2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, John, why don't you lighten up with the sarcasm. Maybe you should have supported the good 'ol USA when you bought the Canreefs.
icon_wink.gif
Good luck Josh with your new pump.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
both the MD and WMD are built identically now
No they aren't. The Mag Drive uses and aluminum adapter bracket. The Walchem Mag Drive uses a polypropylene adapter bracket. Also, more recently, the version with the Fasco motor (domestic) seems to implement silica carbide bearings (no, I'm not talking about the MD/WMD-F). The two motors are still different. The Fasco motors are also larger.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: galleon ]

Josh's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John@crybaby,
Why don't you step it up and buy a real pump like the iwaki 70.WHICH IS ONLY AVAILABLE FROM JAPAN!!!!!!!!!!!.I really resent that statement, I always buy American when I can.
OH yeah I forgot your in the hobby a whole 6 months now.
icon_mad.gif

John@Carline

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh's Queef: Ohhhhhhhhh soooooooo sooooorrrrrrrryyyyyyy you resent my statement! But you're the one crying about wiring up a .10 cent plug and the fact that your "real" pump didnt even come with one! But I forgot, you being a lazy "American" now have an "inconvenience" on your hand! And after spending $275 bucks!! Next time why dont you step up to the plate, spend the extra $10-20 and get a Gorman(GRI) Rupp product! They will even include the 3 pronged plug for the mentally deficient such as yourself at no extra charge!But for someone who "buys American" whenever they can, this was an obvious oversight I guess huh? I dont think anyone here will contest a GRI product over ANY Iwalki product for cost,efficiency,OR reliability.
icon_rolleyes.gif

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: John@Carline ]

John@Carline

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve: you are politically incorrect, you should mention the "same 5 people" are part of, because before this thread is closed I garentee they will have all responded. And I didnt start with the "flaming" either, I didnt start my post off with "John@crywhatever!"

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: