faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am still desperately trying to decide on the lighting for my tank. The only piece of equipment I already have is an Icecap 660 which I plan on running at least 2 110W VHOs with. Im shying towards either the Dual 250W HQIs or Dual 400W Halides (bulbs still to be determined). I have not seen or heard of anyone using 400W HQIs (can anyone give me some info/links about this lighting in a reef). I plan on keeping SPS, Clams, and other similar light loving organisms. I would like to keep clams on the bottom of the tank and I would also like to keep some softies (if I have to built caves for them I will). Initially the cost of the 250W HQIs will be about 300-400 more than the 400W Halides (both setups using PFO ballasts, and PFO reflectors/pendants). In a year the electricity I will save by going with the 250W HQIs (300W difference) will equate to roughly $300. So basically after a year the HQIs will pay for themselves. I have heard of problems with shadowing with the HQIs. From what people have been telling me they don’t cover as much area as halides. The plus is the bulbs last longer and I don’t really know if they dissipate as much heat in the canopy since they are contained in a pedant. Any of you with suggestions would be be greatly appreciated ... especially those with 120g reefs. BTW the tank will be 4X2X2 and I will have a 4-5 inch DSB so there will be 19 inches dept to the tank. I also plan on aquascaping the back 2/3 of the tank so the front 1/3 is left for fish to swim. Thanks for the help in advance. I wanna do this right (so if I need 400s I’ll get them) but I don’t want to waste money if I don’t have to. Although electricity is as expensive as California its not cheap by any means either.

canadawest

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher intensity lamps are usually intended for deeper tanks.

Based on your post the greatest distance from the lamps to an animal would likely be no more than 24". I would suspect that a pair of 175W or 250W MH lamps would be more than enough for that size tank.

Also you would have fewer heat related problems by choosing the lower output lamps.

A pair of 175W MH, combined with a pair of 110W Actinics would give you 570W total. That's enough for pretty much any light loving animal in my opinion, and you would have a cheaper solution, lower power bills and fewer heat issues.

pez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of adding 2 400 watt 6500K lamps over my 120. Couple that with 4 x 96 watt true actinic PC. But that's just me. I have never used HQI lamps so I really can't comment. However, I definately would not recommend 175 lamps.

The 120 I have is 24" deep, so the distance from the lamps to the bottom would at least 24".

-Tom

faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah my 120g is 24 deep as well but I figure with a sandbed it will be about 19. I have a 175W in a 25g cube and I don't think it would cut it in a 120. Thats why Im kinda iffy about 250s as well. In my 25 the corals which grow best are at the top 1/3 of the tank. The lighting is enough that I can have a maxima in the middle and a deresa in on the substrate but those Acros which are placed in the lower portion of the tank do not grow as well/fast as those that are on the top.

yabby

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this will help you much as I have never used regular MH's. I have 2x150W HQI's on my 90gal (24" deep). They are in the single ABS hood mounted on a linear slide (i.e. the linear slides are glued to the top left/right sides of the tank and the ABS hood sits in a cradle attached to the two slides).

Not sure I explained than particularly well but the end result is you can slide the ABS hood back to get your hans into the tank. Also because there is no hood surrounding the entire top of the tank (which I PERSONALLY think makes the tank look very bulky) their is NO need for fancy fans to cool.

This, I think, is an advantage and the colour of the HQI lights (10000K Ushio) is just great with no need for supplemental lighting. MY SPS are doing very well with this setup.

The lights cover my tank area pretty well, even though they are only 2-3" or so above the water surface (HQI have a glass-UV shield so they can't be splashed). Perhaps it is nice to have some lower-light corners anyway?.

I have read before that the 250HQI's are insanely bright, and have also read other comments than HQI have a better spectrum than regular MH. 175W MH < 150 HQI - no idea if that is true....

Hey the German's seem to favour HQI and reef-keep is pretty advanced over there! Electricity also costs more there too....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: