A

Anonymous

For what it's worth, the pics were taken from a 20 foot powerboat on a fishing expedition. The boat was captained by a veteran fishing guide. He claims to know the difference between makos and great whites. He claimed this was a great white.
Later the same day a large mako was caught in a "monster shark" fishing tournament in roughly the same area.
The aforementioned captain claimed it was not a mako that stole the striped bass. He said he knew a great white because of its "broad shoulders"
Another point; the captain and his clients claimed the "great white" was 18 feet, just a bit smaller than the boat they were standing on. Would a dolphin be that big? I don't know how large dolphins get.

cindywennin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dolphin—IMO the first picture the snout area is too long and narrow for a GW shark and in the last picture the pectoral fins aren't long enough for a GW either.

Disclaimer: I wasn't there...can't say for sure
icon_biggrin.gif

Cindy

Baalz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont spend my living out in the sea like this Captain does. Im taking his word for it. Theres no doubt in my mind that bottom picture is a shark. And at the angle it was taken I think it could be a Great White.
I didnt take top picture so I could no way guesstimate what angle this fish really is at

Is it me or does this great white have a pointed nose? http://www.greatwhite.org/hi_res2.htm

Look again at bottom pic on this thread.. his head is massive and tip is pointed just like this pic

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Baalz ]

ophiuroid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with Kazzoo...that first picture most definitely looks like the profile of a dolphin. The last one doesn't look like a great white- which does have a somewhat pointy nose, but not that thin and tapered. Seems to me in the great white the eyes are right close to the nose and then it abruptly comes to a point- not like in the "shark" above.

Picture from fabulous site (more pictures there): http://greatwhite.org/frame_images.htm

gws17a.jpg

The animal also seems to have small fins compared to a Great White....

Dolphin image from: http://www.naturezoo.com/marinemammals/bottlenosedolphin.html
bottlenosedolphin.jpg

Also, if that "shark" is supposedly 18ft long, according to the captain, than how big is that baitfish?

Possible it is a Mako or something, but the head still doesn't seem quite right.

Image from site: http://www.sdnhm.org/kids/sharks/shore-to-sea/mako.html

mako-rh.jpg

-------------------
Brittlestars!! http://home.att.net/~ophiuroid
-------------------

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That baitfish is supposed to be a striped bass (although it looks like a small cod). Legal limit for stripers is 26" I think. We have no way of knowing how big that one is, but let us assume it is 36" (3 feet) long. Would that scale put the "shark" at 18 feet? Is the shark 6 times larger than the bait? Could be, I guess. What do you folks think?

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That first picture gets my vote for "Flipper". The following photographs are not so clear for a good, positive identification.

Baalz - great link. I will have to check out out more.

chris s1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
small cod? arnt cod like 1-2 feet and really thin? at least the ones i go fishing for in gloucster are...

that could be a big striped bass, my buddy pulled in a 35lbs striped bass and it was about 2 and a half to 3 feet long.

i think it is a shark for sure, i have never seen a dolphin thats over like 15 feet long hehe.

pupeluv

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the top picture, the animal's tail fin is horizontal. Only dolphins and whales have that. The way water can distort the features, i don't think you can make a determination based on the head alone in the last pic. A horizontal tail fin is the determining factor here. I hope nobody paid this captain too much money to see a "shark".

Schooner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a link to a pic on the web of that crazy Australian on the whale with the sharks in the background?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in my assessment, it's unlikely it's a shark - if the last picture is any indication. Although the picture is admittingly poor, what strikes me is that I see no eyes. This would tell me this animal's eyes are set very low and to the posterior of the head (on the same latitude as its mouth). This morphology is indicative of all dolphins, but very few sharks (eg blue shark).

kazzoo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the pictures some more, I still say the first picture is a dolphin. The second two it is hard to say. The last one might be a shark. You can see what appear to be gill slits on the left side (as we see it in the picture) of the head, typical of a shark and not of a dolphin. The kind of shark, I don't know.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the symmetrical caudal penduncle keel in the first photo, and what appears appears to be the slight protrusion from the animal's left pectoral fin. Also, not the complete lack of any sort of countershading and/or bicolor pigmentation. That is a dorsal view of this animal, and it is a shark.

Jase

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the third pic. Looks like a shark striking the bait...dorsal in top left, pectoral lower left. If it were a dolphin, I think you'd see more of a snout in this picture.
18 feet long though? Nah, look at the splash in the water...8-10 feet max.

imow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the Australian video of the great white. Pay attention to right after they scan to the large boat with the people on the deck. You will see a shark swim past and turn towards a boat. In a few of these frames, the shark looks like a dolphin from above. I paused it but I cant get the pic over to here.
Take a look.

kazzoo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think that the top photo is a dolphin. Dolphins, at least the ones I have worked with, do not have the earlier refered to shading. They were more or less solid grey/blue. So one turned on its side in the conditions that are evident in that photo is going to be all gray. If you look closely at the head in that photo, you can make out the mouth and eye. The dorsal side of the dolphin is turned to the top in that picture, with the ventral side turned towards the bottom, bottom-left. The head shape is very hard to discount.

Lefty1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta go with galleon and say it is some kind of shark. It looks to me like the tail in the first pic is vertical (you can see both pectoral fins coming out from under the body), I see no evidence of a mellon, the nose tapers to a point (the head looks like a big triangle), and the last tow pics look like a shark feeding. I don't think it is a white shark though.

RR
icon_biggrin.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: