Ritteri&Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually never had a fish die on me yet(at least not one where I was able to fish it out before it got eaten by its fellow tankmates)but if I ever had one on its last leg where there was 0 chance of survival, I would get out the ol fishnet scoop it out and flush it down the toilet. And I would only scoop it out if I thought it were too big for the rest of its tankmates to consume it rapidly within a days time. Might as well give the tank a gourmet meal when the chance occurs. If the fish could pose a water quality issue on its demise, I will just flush it. Simple as that. Im not going to inject it with Novacaine,alcohol dip it,freeze it,squish it,cyanide burn it,light a cigarette for it,cut its head off,read it its last rights,call Jerry Springer up, or pray to the fish Gods or anything else stupid and time consuming for a dying animal I cannot save.I am going to go to the closest toilet to minimize water dripping all over the house and flush the toilet just like Al Bundy would.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please do not start flaming. If Ritteri&Bubbles response sounds as assanine, insensitive, and irresponsible to you as it does to me, just ignore it. WE don't need anymore flame fests.

BTW, the subject is "how to put down a fish humanely." If you can't contribute to this topic except with troll-bait, you need not respond.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Leonard ]

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Christy's recommendation for clove oil. Actually a clove oil/ethanol mix. I believe it's a 1 to 4 mix for anesthetic. Finquel(MS222) an aquaculture anesthetic will also do the trick but will cost you. My preferred method is a sharp blow to the head.

I rechecked my math at work, 1 to 9 parts clove oil to ethanol for anesthetic(%10). 1 to 3 parts clove/ethanol would be closer to Christy's recommendation for lethal concentration.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: fishfarmer ]

Ritteri&Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A flame?? Wow, this BB is as bad as they say if someone thinks Im starting a flame. Far from it.

Leonard: I do not "flame" as you call it nor do I take them personal, but considering a fish is probably in "pain" before you or I are ever even aware of the fact plain and simple. If the fish is going to die, I stated what I consider to be the right thing to do. FLUSH HIM. A fish going down the toilet will die just a quickly as the time it takes somebody to wrap a fish up, find a hammer, and smash it over the head. You dont think the fish is stressed out enough or "hurting" in the time it would take you to do the Hammer task?? Or the time it would take to "freeze" it?? Please people, get serious here. How "humane" is it in all retrospect to have a Saltwater tank to begin with?? How "humane" is it when you feed your fish or inverts, squid,scallops,silversides etc? Who though about those creatures "feelings" when they were being caught to begin with? Think that over the next time you have a meal with any meat in it. There is a line to draw here between "feelings" and obsurdity.

What I originally stated was what I felt to be humane. FLUSH HIM. If the person who started the topic doesnt agree with me then thats fine. Let him decide that in the privacy of his own home. If someone else doesnt agree with me, thats fine too. Thats what I thought a discussion board was all about. But I wasnt aware of the fact that everybody has to agree with everyone else or its automatically considered a childish fight.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Ritteri&Bubbles ]

smokinreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a freshwater fish that died almost instantly when i put it into fresh water from the tap.

Mike02, i hope you dont drink the same water!!
icon_wink.gif

i think using an anesthetic and then killing it is the most humane way.

next would be putting it in a bag and then "slamming its head" against a hard surface would do the trick, although a bit involved and gruesome.

but i prefer the freezer method. put it in a small dish of tankwater and place into the freezer. the idea being that it slowly cools, so its metabolism slows, thus numbing occurs, then finally a painless death. i hope. you do not put it into ice water, as this will obviously cause shock=pain.

ritteri,
perhaps we can change your thinking,
the main reason most have a problem with flushing is that these fish have become our pets and thus we have feelings for them and flushing them will not provide a quick and humane death. just think about how long a saltwater fish can survive through a freshwater bath. i know you are entitled to your opinion, and perhaps we will just agree to disagree on this, but i wouldnt feel good myself if i didnt try to change your ways. i just find it odd that you would take this stance on fish, but are willing to acclimate an anenome for 12 hours!! which by the way i commend you for sharing your wealth of experience and information concerning the husbandry of aneniomes.( i have been following those threads with much interest)
icon_biggrin.gif

james, i hope that helps out with your moral dilemna!

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water from the tank in a container big enough to hold him. Put him in the freezer.

You start with water from the tank because it is what he is used to. Putting him in the freezer....the temp lowers at a rate that slows his metabolism until he goes to sleep.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: jethro ]

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my greatgrandfather, founded/owned/operated a meat packing plant until he sold the business. they fed the cows beer and then hit the cow over the head with a huge hammer resulting in instant death.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did anyone else predict this thread might go for a couple of pages and start a few flames?
icon_wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flush them. Just this morning, I had to flush a FW Pleco.

But before, I even get the fish out of the tank, I add lots of fresh made ammonia to the toilet.(Gives me time to reflect "how did I lose another fish.") We all know what ammonia does to fish.

Then add fish, then flush.

B

Ritteri&Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smokinreefer: Well the Anemone acclimation is a completely different subject. A 12 hour acclimation is needed to keep them healthy and to adjust to the new water so as to NOT be near death. We are talking about a fish(s) that is already pretty much dead, no way in saving it. Of course I get attached to my fish, just as much as anybody else. But if I cant help it get better, and its on the way out, my first choice is to let it be eaten by the reef setup itself. Now it seems that nobody is bashing me for letting what would happen in nature happen in my own tank, which is basically a fish being eaten alive. But if I deem the fish too large and remove it, Im going to flush it. Is it any less painful than what would happen in nature? Come on folks! This Thread is turning into a new "Far Side" comic if you ask me. Im sure nobody here eats or enjoys lambchops,Salmon,Lobster etc. right?

schroom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ritteri! even though it is sad to see one of my babies go I usually let the rest of the tank do the natural thing and dispose of the fish for me. That is why I have a clean up crew. I do try to save the fish for as long as I can. I have seen too many living things come back from the brink of death and can not bring myself to kill on of my fish. My regal tang just a couple of months ago was bloated and had to anchor himself under a rock so not to just float around the tank. Many people said that there was no hope for him and even some on this board said to put him out of his missery, but I just could not. He is now still with me and doing just fine! So I can not go about killing my fish I just let nature take its course. That is as long as it does not disturb the rest of my tank.

smokinreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i certainly have no problem with and agree with you guys on letting the tank care for itself, by letting the other tank inhabitants, kill and eat any ailing cohabitants. as this happens in nature, but if the fish is too large for this to be done in a timely matter,or if the fish doesnt die in a short time frame then there are certainly some options as to humanely put a fish down.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to stay out of this, but the subject does come up quite a bit; I don't think we as humans will ever find the answer, because animals can't talk and we can't really determine what types of pain they do feel; because we as humans can not even determine the ethical and humane way to deal with the sick and dying of our own race.
Has any human or animal come back from the dead and said " hey the way you put me to death or terminated my life was painfull or painless."
I think at the moment, to us as humans who care about our critters, it's a traumatic time and as long as we feel we did the best we could to provide the quality of life for our critters and what we feel was to us the most humane way for them to end their lives, we should be satisfied, though we may toss and turn in bed for a while.
How's that for a nonanswer ?

Regards,
David Mohr

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: davidmohr ]

Ritteri&Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget what I said earlier about flushing the fish down the toilet fun slide. Instead just get out the ol' sledge hammer in front of all your kids and put "Buddy" the Clownfish which has been in the family for 5+ years greeting the kids home from school with an inquisitive look every time, and by the hands of the fish gods strike down on the poor sickly fish's dying head with all your might, with eyeballs and fish guts splattering all over Betty your loving wife, and the tattered remains of the fish's body being carried off by Rover the family dog to be buried along side Aunt Thelma in the family graveyard out in the back yard next to the Webber grill. This is what "humanity" is all about! Lovely!
icon_biggrin.gif

Pulse

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the cleaver idea, I've only had one fish die, but that was cuz he sat still too long for a coral banded shrimp... but yeah, if the fish isn't sick at all... if he just died of old age... I wouldn't see the harm in using him in some homemade food mix... if you think this is wrong just say so... I just think it's a waste to throw him out.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are saying it would take too long for a fish to die by flushing it down the toilet. I think it would be quicker than waiting painfully for the person to go to the computer and post a ? about how to kill it and wait for a bunch of people to reply with their method and why it is better than someone elses. I say if it is definitely going to die then do something now not wait a couple of days for it to waste away or be eaten alive by the tank inhabitants.

Al Z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Ritterei, what it really comes down to is your tender sensibilities. How icky, messy and disheartening it can be to give an animal a quick, easy death. Why do that when it's so much cleaner and easier to let the animal suffocate in body waste, at the twist of a handle. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: