james wiser

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sick fish that is suffering

other fish are picking at him et.

i dont want to leave in tank and it is time
to put him down

How do I do this as humane as possible, I dont want to use any chemicals if possible

<flames off>

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read once....where you could freeze them to
death in the freezer ?

is this correct ?
is this humane ?

other options ?

Thanks

James

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: james wiser ]

Styk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear peoples opinions on this also. I have put two fish down by putting them in the freeze. I figured it was better than putting them in my freshwater toilet and flushing.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freezing isn't what I consider humane. Death is slow and painful (takes over 20 minutes).

Alcohol baths have been recommended as it is believed to intoxicate the fish, lulling it into respiratory arrest. I'm not fully convinced the fish feels no pain.

The most humane thing to do is to take the fish out, wrap it with a towel, and take a hammer or another blunt object to its cranium. It's a pretty involved and morbid task, but the fish will die instantaneously.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Leonard ]

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On fishing trips I always used a club to the head. I think it's the fastest way to go, and the fish won't know what hit it.

If at all possible, remove the suffering fish and put it in it's own tank. You can buy a cheap 10g tank and air stone. Put a little live rock in there for denitrification and for it to hide.

Perhaps it might get better...

-Nathan

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came in on some of the other students putting fish in cold water and they went into shock in minutes, making my lecture last about 30 - of course, it was being done in the name of science rather then being a good fish keeper. I wouldn't quite call it pleasent and quick. If I had to pick a method, I would go with the mallot, after the small 6 gallon tank and seeing if it feels better.

What exactly is wrong with the fish? Need any webpages or is it just old & needs to go?

arnjer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree if you can set up a sick tank do that and give the fish a chance unless you KNOW it's not going to make it......then I would call my local vet and ask them.

Jerry

tubs

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it does unfortunately become necessary what I've done in the past while the fish is still in the net is to slam it as hard as I can into the cement floor. Doesn't sound nice but it's another alternative for a need to have the job done as quickly as possible.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: tubs ]

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OUCH! This is a really difficult topic. I haven't been there yet, but my sense is that the easier ways to do it are not the most humane and painless for the fish. Sounds like the most painless way to do it from the fish's standpoint will be the most difficult and painful for the aquarist.

Good thread everyone.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my freshwater fish I have always slammed them on the concrete head first, I hope someone could do the same for me when the time comes.
Steve

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get too grusome...

A sharp meat clever (or other large knife) and a cutting board. Kind of like a guilitine.
icon_sad.gif

A little less violent than the smashing and bashing methods I would think. One swift movement....it's over.
icon_eek.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I need to put a big arrowana to rest, I got a anethsetic (spelling???) from a vet. Dissolve in tank water to sedate the fish and finishes him off while he is sedated.

This is what I consider as the mosts humane (& probably most painless) way to go.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I have also tried the ice-water method. NO! It is not the easiest way to go. I can still see its muscle contract after a minute in the icy water.

Christyf5

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I work with fish (salmon) for a living and whenever we have to put any out of their misery (or collect samples) we use clove oil. We use about 10% for anaesthetic and 30% does the trick for death. This does take awhile though (10-15 minutes) but I think it is probably the most humane (as humane as the stuff you get from the vet and probably cheaper and easier to get).

Christy
icon_smile.gif

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ritteri&Bubbles:
<STRONG>I just flush em down the toilet! At least they get a nice water slide ride in the dark as they die!
icon_smile.gif
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please tell me that smiley face means you're joking...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried the alcohol route, a glass of rum and it looked horrid. That puffer would have been a lot better off if I would have just ponied up and culled him. A knife right behind the gills and the spine is severed. Supposed to be the most painless way to die.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: