fichpoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been scuba diving in bequia grenada and barbados.. Also been scuba diving in figi and vanuatu. All very beautiful places to swim. Millions of corals and fish at each of the sites. Best thing is, i'm only 15 and still get to go to figi next summer again. Gonna be great!

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only been in N Cal. Plenty of kelp, sea lions, some abalone, and some nice sharks !
Have been toying with the idea of going down somewhere in Mexico, but I REALLY want to go to Fiji. My sister has gone there a few times, and I always drool over the pictures she brings back. Stunning to say the least.

And heck, swimming in N CA water in the winter is great, the water is warmer then the air. But getting out is the worst part!

villious

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was stationed in Guam for 5 years (Air Force).

Did a lot of snorkleing but never dove. I grew up in Georgia, and had a 125 gallon reef tank before I joined the AF.

Nearly had my eyes pop out of my head when I got to Guam and went snorkling for the first time. It was so cool to see all the stuff I had been paying big bucks for.

I guess some people here would know what "piti bomb holes" means..... :)

ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to Padre Island, but im not sure if that counts as the "ocean".
icon_smile.gif

ging
icon_smile.gif

canadawest

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And don't forget, just because some of us dive it doesn't mean we've ever seen a reef. I've logged over 30 dives in the past 3 years and have never even been in warm water! All of my diving has been here on the west coast of Canada, diving the beautiful Pacific ocean.

Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to enjoy some of the Carribean, Mexican, South African and Australian waters. Until then 50-60F water is where I'll be!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by canadawest:
<STRONG>Until then 50-60F water is where I'll be!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Girlie Men need not apply.

I spent three years surfing the Azores Portugal year round. I am picking up what your laying down. Had to sit on the beach for 20 mns to regain sensation in my feet so I could feel the gas, clutch, and brake pedal. The Florida Keys will do fine, except the waves suck.

kennethstowell

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i never was much for traveling so most of the ocean that i saww was in northen ca. where i grew up , sonoma,ca, stinson beach was the place but water was freezon! anyway 6 yrs ago moved to san diego ah! much better, met a girl who likes to take vacations here, so in the last five yrs, been lucky enough to snorkel in cabo, cancun, moorea(very, very nice!)and aug. 26 i'll be in maui for two weeks! oh yeah worked for 2 mo. in oahu, too crowded for me though!

Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Lunchbucket..

Never seen the ocean... incredible..
I mean, I'm sure there are PLENTY of ppl in the world who have never seen it.. but each time I hear it mentioned, it amazes me in some way..

Put it this way..
If you think you know what vast means because you have looked into the sky, or viewed a mountain range, or contemplated the cosmos... think again...
And if you think you feel humble when you sit inside the house of God... just wait until you look into his eyes...

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been snorkling, scuba diving, or anything. Never been to the tropics either. I'm 17 so at least I have plenty of time.
icon_smile.gif

MontanaRocknReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Living in the vast spaces of Montana I have only gone to Hawaii and scraped my leg on some coral while swimming!
That stuff can tear you up pretty good!
I love this hobby though! Johnny
icon_smile.gif

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taiwan & Palua

Snorkled in Bali & Hawaii (Big Island & Maui)

[edit] OH! The topic is who has NEVER swam at a reef. Not me.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Leonard ]

rotorh60

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've was able to dive on The Great Barrier Reef this past May. Dove in Gulf of Mexico (various places), Guam, Thialand, Philippens, Hawawii, and Puerto Rico. Get to dive for first time in Japan tomorrow.

FishDaddy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into Scuba way back before Jacques made it cool!
icon_cool.gif
Didn't even have to be certified when I bought my first tanks.
I don't live near the coast but have scuba'd on some of the reefs around the Bahamas and snorkled there and in the FL. Keys.
One of the most beautiful shallow reefs was the lagoon barrier at Rum Key, Bahamas. The lagoon also had some spectacular coral heads and some of the biggest lobster I've ever seen(and ate!). There were no commercial or tourist facilities there at the time. I understand a dive operation was started up there later but don't know if it's still in operation.

Alas, most of my reef diving was before I became interested in reefing.
I encourage anyone with interest in reefing to take the opportunity to go whenever possible. Most resort areas offer one day "Resort Certification" courses that will let you go on their dive boats.
fish_mask.gif

Dick
icon_smile.gif

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! This post is over 1 page so I was hoping it would be about minimum tank size for tangs!
icon_wink.gif

I have snorkled in the keys. One of the most amazing experiences of my life! I want to get certified so I can dive w/ my dad, but travel so much it is hard to find a 72 hr period when I would be between flights!

E

GotKalk

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I served on a Ballistic Missile Submarine....so I spent a fair amount of time under the ocean. Mostly the N Atlantic.

Not many reefs there
icon_smile.gif
But there was this really cool fish that got caught in the torpedo tube once when we cycled it at test depth. Alien looking thing with teeth you would not believe.

Rick

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: