Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally posted by mgchan:
My sister-in-law has a place out in Aqueboque (Suffolk County) and in the back by the bay there are snails & hermit crabs. On a whim, I picked up a few this summer and put them into my tank. I'll have to work on identifying what type they are but if they do the same job as the other snails & hermit crabs, why not use them!

Then we'd all have our own local critters that we can use in our tanks!!!

I'll try to take pictures of them and post it.
Here's a pic of it:

Old 10-23-2003, 09:49 PM
in the coral sea...
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (19)
Send a Private Message My Facebook View Josh's Twitter Profile
Keep an eye on it. I picked up a conch along with about 50 blue legs the last time I was in Key West and the damn thing killed about 20 snails and wrecked a lot of coral before I realized who was doing it. It looked like every other conch I've ever bought, but he went from quarter size to about 3 inches long in just 3 months.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:17 AM
Send a Private Message
Thanks for the advice!

Since I didn't know too much about them, I've been keeping my eye on them. So far they seem to act like the rest of the hermits, just a bit more active. Might be the result of the smaller/lighter shells from the local snails. I'll try to take a shot to show the comparison to the other hermits.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Send a Private Message
Josh,

Chances are you picked up a whelk, not a conch. Their shells look very similar, but whelks are snail predators while conchs eat algae.

Brian
Old 10-27-2003, 05:24 PM
Send a Private Message
I found out it's called a Long-clawed Hermit Crab (Pagurus longicarpus). They're fairly common along the east coast and grow up to 1/2" in length & 3/8" wide.

Oh well, they're not unique to the NY region. They may not be colorful, but at least they can be useful in the refugium!