• Inside End (7).JPG
    Inside End (7).JPG
    22 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Inside End (4).JPG
    Inside End (4).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,137
A

Anonymous

>....That is just an extra power socket on the outside of the fixture. (Like in case you want to have several of these lights, each plugged into the one next to it.)
Still it is the most likely place. I guess you are obligated to ship it to me for 3 months, and I can tell you exactly how it works :lol:

A

Anonymous

:lol: For thirty bucks plus shipping, you can have your own!

I agree that the small plug is the 'most likely place'. However, it is extremely unlikely at that. The ballast would need to be smaller than a single green pea to fit inside there.

Other possibilities?
1. The ballast is painted onto the housing.
2. The ballast is woven inside the power cord.
3. The ballast is inside one (or 3) of the bulbs.
4. The ballast is in a parallel universe.
5. The ballast is in Timbuktu.

If 1-5 are incorrect, then the only logical conclusion is that this T5 fixture HAS NO BALLAST!!!

A

Anonymous

If I buy a voltmeter, is there anything I could test here?

A

Anonymous

You may end up zipping yourself. Call the bulb manufacture, and ask for the specification (voltage, ampere) or call the lighthood maker, and ask them for specification.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Seven.

But as with so many of the cheap products we get here, this one is entirely lacking in information. The light is made by a company called 'Colorful'. The packaging contains no address, phone number, or any other information.

I have to say though, I'm quite impressed with this thing. Although I don't leave it turned on when I'm away from the house.

A

Anonymous

You forgot option #247328: It has a quantum ballast, making options 1-5 all correct. ;)

Beats the snot outta me too sfsu.. - Not that I have anything more than a few years electronics repair exp during HS and a handful and a half years military electronics exp.. ;)

Where'd you get this sucker JH?

Also.. - Have you / can you check its PAR vs another T5 setup?

What about the bulbs... - Any info labeled on them beyond just "T5"?

Anything stamped on the inside of the fixture anywhere?

I'm guessing you got ripped, thats why I'm curious about the PAR vs a known good T5 rig..

A

Anonymous

Thanks GD.
Always loved your avatar(s!) by the way. 8)

GratefulDiver":1runbvyz said:
Where'd you get this sucker JH?
I bought it in Taipei. It was made in China. I bought it for about US$30, which is about half the price of similar 3-bulb 2' T5 units I checked out before. This cheapness explains my buyingness.

Also.. - Have you / can you check its PAR vs another T5 setup?
Wish I could. But this is my first T5 of any kind, so I can't even eyeball compare.

What about the bulbs... - Any info labeled on them beyond just "T5"?
Great question. Should've mentioned this earlier. On one end of each bulb is written: T5-14W
and under that: c¢ (except that the ¢ is more like the Euro €, but with only one line thru the middle. Don't know how to type it.)

One thing we've figured out is that these are NO T5s, not HO.

Anything stamped on the inside of the fixture anywhere?
Nothing that I could find. The only labeling is on the box it came in. It says: Colorful HY-600T5B.

I'm guessing you got ripped, thats why I'm curious about the PAR vs a known good T5 rig..

I'd be guessing the same except for the fact this thing actually WORKS! That's why I'm so curious. The bulbs fire up within .5 second of flicking the switch. They are bright (but I can only compare them to my PCs, NOs (T8s), and MH.) If I didn't know that flourescent bulbs need ballasts, I'd never know anything was wrong. :?

It's not uncommon for many fly-by-night products to appear and disappear on the market here. Many products produced in China are sold in Asia, but never make it to N America because of various safety/economic reasons. What surprises me is that this super-cheap no-ballast T5 works.

But then, I gotta find out why. Please keep asking questions if that'll help.
T'anks!

A

Anonymous

Microwave!!!

A flourescent tube will light without a ballast in a microwave.

JohnHenry, try to keep this fixture away from your eyes (and other sensitive orbs).

A

Anonymous

Not just microwave. Some will flourescent in a wide spectrum of radiation, such as UV or even low frequency EMR. Ever see people holding a tube under a high voltage power line?

A

Anonymous

I wonder if I should go buy a new T5 bulb to try in this unit. If it works, then I'll know these are in fact ordinary T5s.

Any chance it will explode?

A

Anonymous

Probably will zip the brand new bulb if anything goes wrong. Do it outside, since if any thing burns, the gas will likely be toxic. Just wait for an eastery wind so that we can smell it from California.

A

Anonymous

seven ephors":2ipv3ekx said:
Just wait for an eastery wind so that we can smell it from California.

LOL, will do.
Get ready with your sunglasses, too. I'll tell you when to put them on.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JohnHenry":2wxfvc28 said:
I wonder if I should go buy a new T5 bulb to try in this unit. If it works, then I'll know these are in fact ordinary T5s.

Did you end up trying this?

This is very intriguing!

One other thing to try, even though you mention you don't have other T5 setups, is to put these bulbs in a T5 fixture with a ballast to see if they fire up. Obviously, do it outside, protected! :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":364c5yu6 said:
JohnHenry":364c5yu6 said:

Did you end up trying this?

Not yet.

I'm too cheap to spend $20 on a test bulb.

However, I'm still using this T5, and it works well. When a bulb burns out I'll buy another and see what happens.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be able to het cheepo T5 at the hardware store. They have been using this light type for a while as undercabenit lighting.

Now GO BLOW SOMETHING UP!

take pictures! 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: