A

Anonymous

Edited, please see below.

I just bought a cheap 3 bulb T5 unit. It came with 7500K bulbs which I want to replace. The bulbs it came with are 14 Watts.

I've seen for sale some T5 bulbs that are the same length (55cm) but are 24 watt. Would these work in my fixture? Would they be less bright? Or do I need to open up the light and look at the ballasts to find out?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Whoa 8O !

WTH?!?

I just looked inside the fixture, and there is no ballast. The power wires (110v) come in, go to the 2 switches, and then go straight to the 3 bulbs. Shouldn't there be some ballast/transformer in there??

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a small ballast/transformer at the end of the power cord? It's not uncommon for low power output devices to have no ballast, instead relying on the power plug to convert the outlet electricity to usable power.

you can probably run higher rated bulbs with your existing unit, but you won't get full intensity.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":pdn5w13f said:
Is there a small ballast/transformer at the end of the power cord?

No. Nothing.Seems strange, huh?
I'm wondering if this thing is even safe now.

midgetwaiter

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a ballast in there somewhere, they wouldn't light without it.

What you have are NO (normal output) T5s as opposed to HO (high output) T5s. Coralife makes 10000k and actinic bulbs that will work.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Yes, it was hard for me to believe, too.

There is absolutely no ballast anywhere on, in, near the light fixture. Nor is there any ballast on the cord. I've checked both ends of the housing...no ballast.

If this thing has a remote ballast, then it must be really remote, like in Timbuktu, 'cause it's not anywhere near the light.

I can post pictures if more evidence is needed.

I mentioned in the 1st post that this thing was cheap. It cost about US$30 for everything, 3 bulbs included. I purchased it here in Taiwan, and the unit was made in China. Also, in my search for the ballast, I didn't see any UL Approved sticker.

So, anyone know what kind of monster I'm dealing with here?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...there is no ballast.

I hope you did not buy this from some butched DIY project. Florescence bulb won't work without a ballast due to the amount of current that it can pass thru when it lights up. It would burn right away and give off a nice zip sound.

Some CF has a integrated ballast on the screw-on type, you know, the one with a twister bulb. But for a T5 :? :? :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":3jzm26cw said:
I hope you did not buy this from some butched DIY project.

Thanks Seven.

No, it's not a botched DIY. It was new, in factory original packaging. It doesn't look modified in any way.

Strange, huh?

Anyway, the thing is unplugged now, even though it seemed to work fine. Hopefully you guys can help me figure this out. Would pictures help?

Many Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic *always* help.

Maybe you want to bring it to your dentist to have the entire thing X-rayed so that we can re-engineering this usual design. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a "wall wart" or other such plug? I had a light that was simply a starter with a wallwart that did everything.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here are the pics.

The first one shows the switch end removed.
On the left are wires to the 2 power switches.
On the right are wires to the extra power outlet.

The 2nd pic shows the whole fixture,
No ballasts/transformers on the cord.

Attachments

• Whole thing.jpg
    Whole thing.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,818
  • Inside End.jpg
    Inside End.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,819
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white plugs in the 1st pic are the plugs that plug directly into the ends of the bulbs.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What, need pictures of it lit up too? JK :lol:

If a T5 simply cannot light up if it has no ballast, then:

The only conclusion I can come to is that these bulbs which are the exact dimensions of T5 bulbs, and have T5 stamped on them, are in fact not T5.

Could they have the ballast/starter components hidden inside the bulbs?
I doubt it, as the whole lenght of the bulb gives off light.

Maybe they're just elongated incandecent bulbs, painted with a special phosphorous coating that gets excited by the tungsten filament and gives off a special, high Kelvin energy light that mimics T5s?

Again, doubtful.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What that thing with the blue wire? The one on the upper side. :?

Something fishy here... Or I am too outdated about these lighting tech. :(

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":194u8xog said:

Looks like some sort of transformer or "high tech" ballast to me. I'd bet its a transformer that does the "Trick" nowadays.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As big as that black box is that the blue wire goes into is I'd guess on transformer of some sort as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank YOU!

seven ephors":204k0hlm said:

That is just an extra power socket on the outside of the fixture. (Like in case you want to have several of these lights, each plugged into the one next to it.)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":251k5k5l said:
As big as that black box is that the blue wire goes into is I'd guess on transformer of some sort as well.

It's not much bigger than the 1st joint of my index finger.
Here's a picture from the outside:

Attachments

• Inside End (6).JPG
    Inside End (6).JPG
    14 KB · Views: 2,727

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: