A

Anonymous

Nooooooo don't go the RK way!!!!!!!! I read AA for what it is now, don't water it down with fluff :(

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackcloudmedia":2ucpfsbz said:
Thats why I quit reading magazines a long time ago...for all of my hobbies. Its just all ad's. Too bad all of the brains on here couldnt put their heads together to make a Reef Only magazine :wink: Hint. If it was balanced with articles for the beginner, expert, and the obsessed...I think it would be worth it. Im certainly not paying the usual 6 bucks to read advertisements.

Honestly a lot of people like the ads so long as they're relevant to the hobby. I do agree that some magazines have taken this to an extreme though.

Speaking as someone who's been publishing an online magazine for the last 6 yrs I gotta agree w/ Gresham. A subscription-only magazine model would not last long -- even for us being online only, which you would think would cost less than a paper magazine. Paying authors for articles is expensive before you start talking about paying for server costs and the like.

Shane

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":lro2qy09 said:
Nooooooo don't go the RK way!!!!!!!! I read AA for what it is now, don't water it down with fluff :(

You don't have to worry about that. ;) We've got a lot of excellent articles coming up. Ken's skimmer article in this month's issue was *awesome*. I think we could balance articles for both the beginner and expert... FWIW, Terry's been looking for someone to write a "Reefkeeping 101" column for quite a while since Randy Donowitz stopped writing for us which might be kinda nice as it would balance things out a bit more. I've also been trying to work on some ways of adding in video, Flickr and the like as supplemental material.

As always if you have ideas for the magazine, please let us know!!!

Shane

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One man's fluff is another man's Pulitzer :P But don't worry: we aren't looking to replace the current quality with filler. I think it'd just be nice to have some more beginner/casual accessible articles to hit a wider audience (who will hopefully progress to the more advanced topics in time) 8)

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid":1rya5gc6 said:
blackcloudmedia":1rya5gc6 said:
Thats why I quit reading magazines a long time ago...for all of my hobbies. Its just all ad's. Too bad all of the brains on here couldnt put their heads together to make a Reef Only magazine :wink: Hint. If it was balanced with articles for the beginner, expert, and the obsessed...I think it would be worth it. Im certainly not paying the usual 6 bucks to read advertisements.

Honestly a lot of people like the ads so long as they're relevant to the hobby. I do agree that some magazines have taken this to an extreme though.

Speaking as someone who's been publishing an online magazine for the last 6 yrs I gotta agree w/ Gresham. A subscription-only magazine model would not last long -- even for us being online only, which you would think would cost less than a paper magazine. Paying authors for articles is expensive before you start talking about paying for server costs and the like.

Shane
All Im saying is speaking as a consumer, I want articles to read. Not ad's. I dont search through this forum for ad's. If the only way a magazine can stay afloat is by being 80 percent ad's and 20 percent articles...then bye bye magazine.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len/Shane, I know of a perfect author....Dr. Paul Whitby (COMAS club president). But hurry as I recommended him to Reef Hobbyist Magazine as well :)

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The problem with writing for beginners is that it would basically be a rehash of what is easily available in some of the good books. What is the true value in that.

Good, lighter reading articles with unique content is what you should be looking for to complement the advanced ones. I have a few ideas, but short on time. See my clownfish article on manhattan reefs magazine as an example.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/ree ... arwin.html

sanjay.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Sanjay":3jt300rz said:
GreshamH":3jt300rz said:
cetled":3jt300rz said:
Here is a good magazine

Ultramarine

www.ultramarinemagazine.co.uk

Oh most definelty. It's extremelly hard to come by in the states though. I simply LOVE it when I do get to see it. Great bunch of guys to boot!@

And they even have an interview with the Photon Man 8O

sanjay.

And Jake has an article in it as well :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: