Katfsh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well Its time for the annual magazine sales at my daughters school and I noticed a couple of aquarium magazines one is fresh and marine aquariums and the other is fish aquarium international or something like that have any of you heard of them.

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of both of them. Those are actually 2 of the best magazines out there. They are both about 1/2 salt, 1/2 fresh.

Kim

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAMA has been around forever. I remember the days (before the internet) when I looked forward to getting my FAMAs in the mail. It was my information lifeline :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1k7ffsrr said:
FAMA has been around forever. I remember the days (before the internet) when I looked forward to getting my FAMAs in the mail. It was my information lifeline :)

Yes! I remember doing that as well. Reading the articles and looking at the 'latest breakthrough from the folks at TETRA' advertisements...ahh good times 8)

fcmatt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best magazine i have read that would interest us here is called "corals". too bad it stopped recently.

it will be reborn as "reeflife". so look out for it. very in depth information
for an advanced hobbyist. spring 2009.

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
fcmatt":2a8fxc9u said:
the best magazine i have read that would interest us here is called "corals". too bad it stopped recently.

UNfortuantely, your information is incorrect.

CORAL is not dead.... it now has a new publisher and a new issue will be out soon.

REEFLIFE is another new magazine started up by the old publishers of Coral.

So there will be 2 good magazine now.

Also do not forget the best online magazine www.advancedaquarist.com
As far as state of the art articles go, nothing comes close to AA.

sanjay.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest a lot of the AA stuff is too involved for me. I started reading some of the articals this month and both the skimmer artical and the coral pigment artical had me kinda bored reading all the data. Not that its not great info, I just am not that technical of a person. I dont really do magazines anymore, I used to subsribe to a few and FAMA was always a favorite but I skipped over all the fresh water stuff.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAMA became a piece of advertising trash years and years ago :P

fcmatt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanjay":3kzcq3ez said:
fcmatt":3kzcq3ez said:

UNfortuantely, your information is incorrect.

CORAL is not dead.... it now has a new publisher and a new issue will be out soon.

REEFLIFE is another new magazine started up by the old publishers of Coral.

So there will be 2 good magazine now.

Also do not forget the best online magazine www.advancedaquarist.com
As far as state of the art articles go, nothing comes close to AA.

sanjay.

interesting. i was just going by information i got from this website: http://www.coralmagazine.com/ If you are correct i have simply misread the information
that was provided. It seemed to me it was dead and something new was going
to be reborn.

"Dear Valued Subscribers and Readers of this Site:

First of all, we'd like to thank you for your support for Coral magazine over the past five years. It is precisely the enthusiasm you have shown for what we hope has been a very high-quality publication that has led to our decision to sever ties with our German counterpart, Koralle. Instead, we are in the process of designing what we hope will be an even better magazine. To that end, the October/November 2008 issue was the last issue of Coral we will be publishing.

Our decision to cease producing Coral was not made lightly. However, we feel we can offer our readers higher-quality information in a more timely manner by taking control of our own publication. As you will learn in the upcoming months, we will be providing readers with up-to-date information from world experts in the various disciplines that contribute to coral reef aquarium keeping, as well as details of the latest animals available to the trade. The first issue of ReefLife will be out on the stands in Spring 2009 and publication will continue on a bimonthly basis. Additionally, we will soon be launching the ReefLife web site, where we will be providing you with updates on the truly exciting content you can expect to find in the magazine.

The Coral Magazine web site will continue to be used as a site for purchasing back issues of Coral. For more details, go to the Back Issues page.

Again, we thank you for all your past support and hope you will continue on with us as we produce the best marine aquarium publication ever!

ReefLife Magazine"

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
GreshamH":25r55rfy said:
vitz":25r55rfy said:
FAMA became a piece of advertising trash years and years ago :P

Kinda just after when Don Dewey passed away, right?

*nod*

it's been almost interesting to see how all of the mags evolved/devolved over the years...

i remember when tfh was the size of a paperback book/pamphlet-had more useful/good info in it than it does now at twice the size, heh :?

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I quit reading magazines a long time ago...for all of my hobbies. Its just all ad's. Too bad all of the brains on here couldnt put their heads together to make a Reef Only magazine :wink: Hint. If it was balanced with articles for the beginner, expert, and the obsessed...I think it would be worth it. Im certainly not paying the usual 6 bucks to read advertisements.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most magazines need FAR more to operate then what sales of magazines can ever support. Most try hard to balance but cost per page changes things quite a bit. Even a few more pages jumps it up a lot as you have to remember they pay to have them shipped. Paper is friggen heavy when your talking thousands of magazine.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben":18gsgar5 said:
I'll be honest a lot of the AA stuff is too involved for me. I started reading some of the articals this month and both the skimmer artical and the coral pigment artical had me kinda bored reading all the data. Not that its not great info, I just am not that technical of a person. I dont really do magazines anymore, I used to subsribe to a few and FAMA was always a favorite but I skipped over all the fresh water stuff.

We will look for more casual friendly writers. It's a good idea. We don't want to give up the "serious" stuff though :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: