A

Anonymous

I finally got around to adding a Vortech to my 330 (96" x 27" x 30"). I already have a lot of low velocity flow split between 12 returns spread out across the back of the tank, but i really needed some random flow and I was not happy with my existing set-up - a pair of seaswirls on a pair of Iwaki powered closed loops.

Anyways, I thought I would give the Vortech a shot. I have one placed on the end of the tank about 6" from the top and front of the tank. So far, I like the flow it is provided. I may add second on for the other end of the tank.

I'm still playing around with it, but I have a couple of quick questions.

1) The wetside housing has a solid portion along one side. What is its function? Does it limit flow out the that side of the pump? If so, is it intended to oriented along the bottom or top side of the prop housing?

2) Anybody placing it lower in the tank? Since my tank is 30" tall, I could move it down a bit to increase flow through the mid-section, but I'm not sure is this would be a plus or minus

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

The blocked area is to be placed near the top. It will help limit the pump from pulling air down from the surface.

Mine is placed about 6-7" from the surface and my tank is about 24" deep. It creates just enough surface agitation and also pushes water down to the bottom.

A

Anonymous

ANEMONEBUFF":2woghat4 said:
The blocked area is to be placed near the top. It will help limit the pump from pulling air down from the surface.

Mine is placed about 6-7" from the surface and my tank is about 24" deep. It creates just enough surface agitation and also pushes water down to the bottom.

Thanks. That was my first bet, but I also figured it could be placed towards the bottom to prevent sand from being pulled up from te sand bed.

A

Anonymous

in my 4x3 footprint tank I have 3 along the backwall blowing forward, while this is a rather unique to this tanks footprint, you can absolutely put them low. However for me most of the rock structures are low in the tank and I'd rather not lose energy by deflecting against rocks.. but who knows, maybe it'd actually work

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this photo of the tank a few weeks ago and before I added the Vortech. As you can see, my live rock extends up the back of the tank to within 3"-4" from the top. But the real challenge is to place the Vortech in a location that will not overly agitate the anenomes. But I figure they will move if they don't like the flow. In any event, I want to start steering this tank towards sps, so I may need to get rid of some of the sofires and anenomes.

Attachments

• IMG00180 - resized.jpg
    IMG00180 - resized.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 816

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have mine placed on the left wall about 6-8" bellow the surface. I think that if you place it to close to the bottom you might get a lot of sand sucked up into it specially if you have any sand sifters. Mine really seems to create flow out on top of tank and flow in on bottom, almost like an undertow.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, what modes are you all using? I am starting with random lagoon, but will see how it goes.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like to reef crest mode. I keep it on that all the time and sometimes randomly change it to lagoon on the weekends but not for long.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was just thinking it would be cool to Milz's set up. Very nice set up, as I imagined.

Nice foxface. Would love to have a tank big enough for one one day. Are those massive BTAs? :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or is that a silly question? My BTA got long tentacles like that and big, but probably not that big. :oops:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":2xpokrqd said:
Hey, I was just thinking it would be cool to Milz's set up. Very nice set up, as I imagined.

Nice foxface. Would love to have a tank big enough for one one day. Are those massive BTAs? :)

Yep. I had one to begin with, but it keeps splitting. Did you notice the Dragon Moray hanging out from the top of the rocks in the middle of the tank? I will post a few close-ups tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncle Mike":1v9c0lp2 said:
Did you notice the Dragon Moray hanging out from the top of the rocks in the middle of the tank? I will post a few close-ups tomorrow.

I hadn't, but think I can now make him out. Looking forward to the close-ups!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few close-ups - sorry for the glare

Attachments

• IMG00186 - resize.jpg
    IMG00186 - resize.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG00215 - resize.jpg
    IMG00215 - resize.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 753
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It keeps people out of my office - particularly at feeding time. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncle Mike":3g3pplu8 said:
BTW, what modes are you all using? I am starting with random lagoon, but will see how it goes.

I used to run a lagoon or reef crest, but for some reason just wasn't jiving with that.. now I run a long pulse (maybe 20 seconds), the two on the outside being anti-synced from the one in the center, so basically water goes down the center of my tank out towards the acrylic, then "bounces" back to go down the sides... then the sides go towards the acrylic with it coming down the central part.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: