SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do some adding .. you'll find that although they are quite expensive for a pump.. you can't even do the same thing with a controllable Tunze stream and a single controller. It comes up to $20 or so more than the Vortech.

Everyone that I've communicated with says they are worth the money. I'm sure it's one of those purchases that you appreciate once you forget the initial shock to the bank account.

Talking about getting 2.. I really dont know WHY I would need 2. I only have a few sps .. the rest is soft stuff. I just feel like 2 would be too much flow.. and I'd end up turning them down to the point that I could have done the same thing with only 1.

B.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do some adding .. you'll find that although they are quite expensive for a pump.. you can't even do the same thing with a controllable Tunze stream and a single controller. It comes up to $20 or so more than the Vortech.

Everyone that I've communicated with says they are worth the money. I'm sure it's one of those purchases that you appreciate once you forget the initial shock to the bank account.

Talking about getting 2.. I really dont know WHY I would need 2. I only have a few sps .. the rest is soft stuff. I just feel like 2 would be too much flow.. and I'd end up turning them down to the point that I could have done the same thing with only 1.

B.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, 2 controllable Tunze nanos (i.e. the biggest) plus a controller don't come anywhere near the cost of two Vortechs unless I'm missing something.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":3l1v4yng said:
Tunze has an extension that lets you hook a 12 or 14 v battery up for backup too... and its a HECK of a lot cheaper than the vortech backup is.

2 nanos and a multicontroler would be just as $$ if not more than a vortech or to though

Add up the cost of a deep cycle 12v battery, a trickle charge and your time and your pretty dang close to the Vortec back-up. Not to mention the fact you'll have a car battery by your tank with the Tunze option ;) (I have both)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":x42vdjwd said:
BTW, 2 controllable Tunze nanos (i.e. the biggest) plus a controller don't come anywhere near the cost of two Vortechs unless I'm missing something.

Flow. Is not the biggest Tunze Nano putting out ~1500gph max? The smallest Vortech puts out 2000gph and is $300 (with controller). I'm seeing the 6055 Tunze for ~$230.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":3lqysoko said:

Ya.. i was considering a controller and one stream. not 2 tunzies... a vortech is around $400.

1 x tunze 6015 (the smallest controllable tunze stream) is around $350. The Mp40W will output 5,000 gph. where as the stream will only do 3,434. A single controler is $65.

THUS a 6015 + single controler = $415

MP40W = $419

I'll pay extra $3 for another 1.5k gph of flow if needed.

THAT being said the battery backup for the tunzi system $50 WITHOUT a battery.

The backup for the MP40W is $160.

For the ability to do different things, and price being considered... I think Echotech wins this one with the vortech.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaintGuru":2d9trgtp said:
The Escaped Ape":2d9trgtp said:

Flow. Is not the biggest Tunze Nano putting out ~1500gph max? The smallest Vortech puts out 2000gph and is $300 (with controller). I'm seeing the 6055 Tunze for ~$230.

I wasn't claiming the two nano streams come close to 2 Vortechs, just that if you had less money to spend and wanted 2 x controllable powerheads of similar (if not equivalent) quality, then this was an option.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":30cuwc7p said:
The Escaped Ape":30cuwc7p said:

Ya.. i was considering a controller and one stream. not 2 tunzies... a vortech is around $400.

1 x tunze 6015 (the smallest controllable tunze stream) is around $350. The Mp40W will output 5,000 gph. where as the stream will only do 3,434. A single controler is $65.

THUS a 6015 + single controler = $415

MP40W = $419

I'll pay extra $3 for another 1.5k gph of flow if needed.

The backup for the MP40W is $160.

For the ability to do different things, and price being considered... I think Echotech wins this one with the vortech.

B

OK, sorry, I was distracted by Rich's point about two vortechs. I was talking about 2 x Nano streams. The largest are controllable. I know this isn't comparable in terms of flow, but for people with reasonably small aquaria, it's not a bad option in terms of flexibility and flow more suitable to an aquarium that's not huge.

On Marine Depot

2 x Vortech $999
2 x Nano stream $454 + controller $270 = $724

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":2rxpps9x said:

Not true. Tunze back up requires both a battery AND a trickle charger. Price them both + the cord and your about the same cost accept they aren't in one pretty and small box like the Ecotech :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank Chris?

I always wanted to grab one of those MP20s because I still have the driver from my MP40 before I upgraded.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an old style MP40 driver laying around, if I swap it for the driver that comes with teh MP 20 does it make it a 40?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I understand, no... because the power supply is too small.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: