SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mp40 vortech? What do you guys think about it?

I'm thinking of getting one for my new 120. Circulation is the ONLY issue I haven't resolved for the new tank as of yet.

B

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine works well. At full speed, it can be a bit noisy. Other than that, no problems here.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oscillating function works very well. I think it's harder to do a wave effect with one pump, but I can definitely get it to go crazy wave-like with two pumps. I turn it down though because I'm afraid the sloshing action will hurt the joints of my glass tank.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can see that.

I'm hoping to get by with one of these... is it possible? I have a few MJ' 1200s with mods that do good for me now, but I really wanna up the quality in my 120g.

No way I'm paying $800 for 2. $400 is about the max. Should I just do a tunze wavebox and use a few MJ's? or keep 1 1200 in there and use the Vortech?

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the random modes it has, a more gentle and a more rapid change are the two it has, so you can go through lots of current, a little current, back to lots, little, smaller, higher etc.

That being said the Vortechs are high end pump like tunze + "wavemaker" like tunze add on, but they also have the nice ability to make a wire free tank. Lots of money, yes, but IMO it can be worth it. If you have modded maxijets use those for now until you think you can live with them or not, there is nothing wrong with them either.

Also keep an eye out for used Tunzes, I've seen a lot out there going for very cheap because of the newer models that are coming out.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're right about the flow options.. i like that idea,... and would love to be able to do that.

as for tunzies they get quite expensive as you know by the time you buy a few that are controlable and buy the controller with them.

the vortech may be the way I go.

the tank already has an external overflow in an attempt to keep it clean inside.. I may just follow that idea and go with vortech.

b

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say if you decide to go with the vortec, which is great, you will want two of them. One for each end of the tank.

Kim

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my vortech, and since I upgraded the wet side assembly it is not to loud at all for me. I have mine low behind some rocks and it keeps all the detritus off my BB.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you asked about the 40, but I just picked up a MP20 for my 22g nano (building). This is the rational that I now have. I have fought spending too much money on flow in the past, either getting the cheaper Tunze that did not have any sort of control (which seized so many times I just said screw it and threw it out), or MJ Mods (which are really hard to wavemake, etc. In the end, I probably spent as much as I would have on 1-2 Vortechs. I think flow is probably one of the most important things you have in your tank, and in general, it is agreed upon that chaotic flow is the best for all coral. Therefore, in the future, I will be spending the extra money on flow, whether it is Vortechs or a closed loop Ocean Motions or whatever, because in the end, you get what you pay for.

As for getting one or two, maybe just start with one and see if it does what you want. You've survived without them thus far, it won't hurt if you only have one for a while :).

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt mind using one modded mj on the other side of the tank or to hit a dead spot.

I can't see needing 2 of them on a 120 though.. that just seems crazy, and for my softies I think it would drive them insane.

yea I've gotten along thus far without them so far because my tank is pretty compact 24x24x24 and a vortech would probably throw water over the top haha.

i actually had a nice stream on this tank but traded it because it was just way to much movement.

b

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I do agree that flow is one of the most important aspects of keeping corals.

i've read several articles here and there that the flow actually impacts the coloration of a coral just as much if not more than lighting...

i dont remember everything, but that was the general Idea. I think it was from Sprung or someone else at the top of the food chain.

b

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my tank is SPS, but I use the vortech, and Koralia 4, and the return is a Eheim 1262 on a seaswirl. My plan is to get rid of the Koralia and replace it with a second vortech. The Koralia is just so big and ugly. I set my vortech on reef crest mode. My tank is a BB 58 which is 36" L and 18" W, the vortech is on the bottom.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":3v76ixs1 said:
I wouldnt mind using one modded mj on the other side of the tank or to hit a dead spot.

I can't see needing 2 of them on a 120 though.. that just seems crazy, and for my softies I think it would drive them insane.

yea I've gotten along thus far without them so far because my tank is pretty compact 24x24x24 and a vortech would probably throw water over the top haha.

i actually had a nice stream on this tank but traded it because it was just way to much movement.

b

Remember that you can dial them down if they are too powerful. I've seen people with MP40s on 29 gal biocubes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try MP40 in a 10g nano (btw not me :D), btw not mine
tank_040608.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most powerful Tunze Nanostreams are controllable. 2 of those plus a controller would work pretty well, I'd guess. 1453 gph ain't bad.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing about the vortech is the battery backup. 24 hours of automatic protection in a power outage.

B

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze has an extension that lets you hook a 12 or 14 v battery up for backup too... and its a HECK of a lot cheaper than the vortech backup is.

2 nanos and a multicontroler would be just as $$ if not more than a vortech or to though

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about it for a week or so and I'll probably end up going with a vortech mp40 ... see where that gets me... if i need more flow run a modded mj1200 and go from there as $$ affords.

It is possible I can get bye with only 1 of them.. I plan on having a very open aquascape that would allow for max circulation. The overflow is also external, so that will free up another few valuable inches

B.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't tell your S/O how much they cost, I mentioned it to mine the other day, even though I've had them for well over a year, and she said "you're kidding right? So those two cost.... " "A-huh" "Holy cow didn't realize how much money is really in this tank"

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: