Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A have heard that you can send your water away to be profesionaly tested by marine chemists. Does anyone know where I can have this done and how much it costs. I was thinking that maybe this might hellp my "losing color in corals" problem.

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle, You have a great set up, but don't rush it. IMO, just let the tank relax and do its thing.
I noticed your pumps are very clean, and the sand has no signs of an established tank. It may be too early to be adding any more coral.
Keep your levels in check, and just wait a few months. Your pumps need to look like this before any sps will thrive.

Attachments

• DSCN0019.JPG
    DSCN0019.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 943
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben":1crr8hti said:
aquariumwatertesting.com

Sent 3 blind samples of same water and got back three sets of different numbers of which didn't line up with what our tests (onsite lab) came back with. What a waste of time and money.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iseeweed":1tvjo3dj said:
Sea Turtle, You have a great set up, but don't rush it. IMO, just let the tank relax and do its thing.
I noticed your pumps are very clean, and the sand has no signs of an established tank. It may be too early to be adding any more coral.
Keep your levels in check, and just wait a few months. Your pumps need to look like this before any sps will thrive.
Iseeweed, thanks for the advise. However, I try to clean my pumps and accessories every couple weeks in a vinager bath with a scrub brush. I understand your point though. I am a little currious as to why I don't have corleane algae growing all over my back glass? :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time...that's why. It takes time for it to establish. ;) nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":iof3pii7 said:
Time...that's why. It takes time for it to establish. ;) nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank.
But do you really think that this could be why I am losing all blues and purples in my tank?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant it in context with your asking about cor.algae growth. I'm nowhere near an expert on SPS.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last anyone looked, AWT, the cheap water testing company, is not a bunch of chemists doing scientific grade water testing - and there were issues with their methodology. There are such companies but they are very expensive. IMO you are better off with your own test kits. FYI, I have poor color perception, meaning reading test kits is almost impossible for me, and I still don't use AWT.

Blues and purples can be a hard thing to keep in sps and we don't really know why.

Your tank is still young. I didn't get coraline booming until 2 years. I think there are prolly more cycles than the one we normally talk about and different bacteria need time to establish. The short version is I think your tank is too young to start trying to tweak for sps color. Chasing color and going for things like AWT is really just throwing money at stuff so you feel like you are doing something. While I understand, and have done it, I think you are better off not doing it. :D

If you have quality test kits and you levels are fine, relax. You could add an actinic VHO bulb along the front of your tank because it makes the colors you like pop. Other than that, it seems waiting is your best option.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Thales. What you say makes sence and I am sure you and everyone else that has mentioned are corect. However, I am stubborn sometime and just have a hard time excepting it. My fried has a tank that he has had about 6 months longer than mine. His sps's are all deep purple/blue (awesome)! He gives them to me and they lose their color. :cry: It just tells me that there is something going on I can't figure out. An invisable mystery. Again, you could be very right though. Maybe his tank matured quicker than mine for some reason.

Anyway, I will continue to dig until it either corrects itself over time or I figure this out. I purchased new Phoenix 14k metal halides the other day which I should have soon and also a TDS meter for my RO/DI unit. This is where I am going to start . Thanks for your help. If you can think of anything else that might pop into your head I would appreciate it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, his tank is 6 months older...

And, sps shifting color is a know phenom. It happens. Give the coral time - months - to adapt before you get nutty. :D

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's just very frustrating. I have a beautiful tank that I spend hours working on every day and tons of money and I feel like I can't even buy really nice colorful corals becuase they'll just go brown once I get them home. :x

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reefing!

One of the 3 top things I have learned is 'money does not equal results'.

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":2oyviis9 said:
Thanks. It's just very frustrating. I have a beautiful tank that I spend hours working on every day and tons of money and I feel like I can't even buy really nice colorful corals becuase they'll just go brown once I get them home. :x

Just a thought-Your tank is amazingly clean, so I'm assuming your hands are in the tank quite a bit. Is there anything that might be on your hands? Maybe your scubbers or glass magnets are contaminated?
One other thing, My tank is about 10 months old. I had very little coraline up until 7 months or so, but when it started-it really went crazy. I also noticed my corals colors really improved after the coraline bloom. I have this one monti(chalice) that was bleached white, now after about 4 months it is a really nice deep green color :roll:

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do have my hands in the wate a lot. I really try to keep them clean though. Maybe it is the hand soap that I use to wash my hands. Or maybe it could be the oil on my skin?

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":19c1l6j9 said:
Yes, I do have my hands in the wate a lot. I really try to keep them clean though. Maybe it is the hand soap that I use to wash my hands. Or maybe it could be the oil on my skin?

I talked to a guy one time who had a terrible time with his tank. He built transmissions for a living and contributed his issues with the oils and chemicals absorbed on his hands.
I would suggest to let the tank get a little "dirty". I have a lot of green algae and junk growing in my sump, overflow, poweheads ect. I'm just to lazy to clean it i guess, but it doesnt seem to effect sps growth or color.
I still am convinced your tank just needs more time. I will try to post some pics later of a 6 month time span in my tank. I had no coraline in August and very slow sps growth, and now everything is pretty much purple and the sps stuff is really taking off. Its amazing what can change in a few months!

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of a 7 month time period. Notice the tank hardly has any coraline on the overflow or bottom in October, and now the coraline is really starting to boom. This just all happened in just the last couple months.

Attachments

• 2 15 09frontweb.JPG
    2 15 09frontweb.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 861
  • 10 30 08frontweb.JPG
    10 30 08frontweb.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 858
  • 7 15 08frontweb.JPG
    7 15 08frontweb.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 859

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: