John Kh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got those 2 tangs at the same time and putt them in the tank at the same time well. They both looks fine and ok. The chocolate one looks more vibrant and eat more. While the Sailfin one doesn't eat any flakes or granuls. Once I am there to feed the fish, all inhabitant gather near the surface and try to grab a granule except for the sailfin. Always on the bottom. She only eat when something reach the bottom of the tank and prefer meaty food to be thrown. Plus she eats some Algea I have in the tank. I am just wondering why wont she eat flakes or granules? I had one before and she used to eat all those stuff and meaty food as well. Why this one wont eat? It has been there for almost a month.

J,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try offering a frozen food with lots of veggies in it. They need greens in their diet. Google the name of the fish and you'll find lots of info regarding diet and care.

John Kh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is eating frozen meaty food. But not flakes. I was wondering if this is un-natural?! The old Sailfin used to eat Granules and flakes in addition to the meaty or frozen food. This is one is only eating frozen meaty food.

J,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are individuals...as long as it is eating it's all good.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get hold of some dried seaweed (of the sort used for making Japanese food), that would be the best food to tempt the tang to eat. But, I'm guessing it might be difficult to get hold of in Lebanon, so you might try blanching some green veggies and putting them in the tank on a clip. Better than that, but probably more hassle than it's worth, might be to try and get hold of some fresh seaweed from an unpolluted bit of coastline near you...

The simplest answer might however just be that it's a wild caught fish and it's not yet accustomed to artificial food and you just need to be patient and give it some time.

John Kh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of green veggie I can offer? Lettuce? I just hang it as is in the tank and wait for the fish to eat it?! Wont it reduce the water quality of the tank if left for a while in the tank? I mean the veggie!!

J,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John Kh":rp6vvj1f said:
It is eating frozen meaty food. But not flakes. I was wondering if this is un-natural?! The old Sailfin used to eat Granules and flakes in addition to the meaty or frozen food. This is one is only eating frozen meaty food.

J,
Dark green leafy veggies are what Ape's talking about. What do you have available to you that's dark, green, and leafy (not terribly tough, fish can't handle the cellulose in terrestrial plants so well, so if it's a tougher vegetable, you'll have to partially cook it or freeze it, something to break down those cell walls a bit).

What I used to do was get a rock that was alright to put in the tank, and tie the food with a rubberband to the rock, drop it in. If you've got other fish that like veggies, what you'll probably come home to is a rock with the veins of the leaf attached (they won't eat that bit). You can leave it in for several hours, but don't let it decay. If it causes water quality problems, then water changes and reduction in amount left are in order. But, also remember that tangs, because of their high activity level (oh my God, can you imagine if this fish were a DOG? :lol: You could NEVER walk it enough!) also create a lot of waste.

What do you mean "the old sailfin"? Had one and it's gone? If this one's young it may not have been acclimated to prepared foods, and they're a lot like people in that they tend to only eat what they know. Make sense? Give it time to watch the other fish eating these foods and one day it'll want to give them a try, too.

John Kh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one and it passed away :S So I got a new one. It is not so young though :D It looks fine. What is DARK, VEGGIE, GREENY and LEAFY?! Any examples?! Please.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spinach, romaine lettuce leaves, zuchinni, cucumber. All blanched (immersed briefly in boiling water and then rinsed under a cold tap or immersed in a bowl of iced water until cool).

Remember, in all these things, Google is your friend. ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome and don't worry, keep on asking questions. I'm just feeling guilty as I've never actually owned one of these and am offering you advice based on internet searches. :P

John Kh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":1oa8rge8 said:
You're welcome and don't worry, keep on asking questions. I'm just feeling guilty as I've never actually owned one of these and am offering you advice based on internet searches. :P

Well I do search most of the time but it is really getting complicated with all the sites available and the comment... It is getting confusing on the web so I prefer to ask someone who have some experience. in addition, sometimes, experienced people have much better ideas then the ones available online :D I am learning many things from here :D You never owned a Tang?! Pretty creatures, Very pretty ones I think.

John Kh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
browncj7":3eu1vdwp said:
Why has no one suggested dry seaweed sheets (nori)?

I've read about this. But I doubt I can find a good store that sells stuff like that. That's why I was focusing on asking about usual Vegetable I can easely find around.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think that was what Tom was going for here....

If you can get hold of some dried seaweed (of the sort used for making Japanese food), that would be the best food to tempt the tang to eat. But, I'm guessing it might be difficult to get hold of in Lebanon,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John Kh":1eq7eas0 said:
browncj7":1eq7eas0 said:

I've read about this. But I doubt I can find a good store that sells stuff like that. That's why I was focusing on asking about usual Vegetable I can easely find around.
Unfortunately, few of us has ever shopped in Lebanon. How about YOU tell US what's available? Just for shtis & giggles. :)

Seriously, I'm sure there are some unusual veggies, compared to what I get here in Cali, for instance (although, please let me say that living in redneck country means that your selection options whilst shopping drop DRASTICALLY, it's food for white people and that's pretty much IT).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
browncj7":2y38tyhb said:

The Escaped Ape":2y38tyhb said:
If you can get hold of some dried seaweed (of the sort used for making Japanese food
icon_neutral.gif

Edit: damn Ben made the point for me! :lol:

Makes me look a bit silly, complaining about someone not reading earlier posts...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":7j62ekjb said:
John Kh":7j62ekjb said:
browncj7":7j62ekjb said:

Unfortunately, few of us has ever shopped in Lebanon. How about YOU tell US what's available? Just for shtis & giggles. :)

Seriously, I'm sure there are some unusual veggies, compared to what I get here in Cali, for instance (although, please let me say that living in redneck country means that your selection options whilst shopping drop DRASTICALLY, it's food for white people and that's pretty much IT).

Hey John, maybe you could experiment? Can you get hold of veg like malukhiyah?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon me, Tom, but do you mean this product?

molokhia-package-712949.jpg

Google wants me to call it 'mulukhiya'. But you do as you like. :)

John Kh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can use that product?! Frozen green leaves?! I'd rather eat that myself, it is tasty after all. Why not!! I can experiment and let you know. I got some red algea, Caulerpa or something it is called and the fish is enjoying it for now.

What can I find here?! I can find lots of things, but mainly not a very high quality things. Plus, as I mentioned before, maybe not in this blog, but reef keeping here is not that famous and appriciated. When you say to people fish, they immediatly think of a Gold Fish, LOL. I have no idea why!! Anyway I can find some Brocoli, and some of 'Moulokhiya' here for sure. But I do not know if I can find some dry seaweed or so!! I haven't heared of a Japanese Super Market here. I will double check it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: