A

Anonymous

After my previous thread, I decided to go with an MP40 on my 69 gallon tank. I still have my return flow and a single MP1200 on the side opposite the vortech. I have mostly soft corals and some LPS in the tank. I'm on lagoon mode, but the softies are still getting blown around quite a bit. Should I just wait for them to adjust to the new flow pattern? I've tried changing the position of the vortech, but regardless of placement, all the softies (mostly xenia) on the half of the tank closest to the pump are getting blown pretty strongly.

Too many softies in this tank for this pump?

180685388-L.jpg

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to run it full speed :P Turn down the speed. You can also try pulse mode to create a back and forth "swishing" effect.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah all that Xenia in there I'd definitely go for a pulse if possible.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have it at 1/2 power in lagoon mode. Didn't I buy this thing to increase the flow in my tank? If I turn it down, I'm defeating the purpose.

I'll play around with the pulse modes and see if either of those work better.

It's a fascinating device!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pulse mode, you can adjust the gph and the frequency to make the tank ebb and flow. Your xenias would love that (and it would look awesome).

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same power head. I have all sps corals and did have some pulsating xenia's. I kept mine on full throtle on reef crest mode and the xenia was thriving. That was why I got rid of it. Try reef crest mode of 3/4 power. I also have an MP20 that I don't use, I would trade you if you would like. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":2rtizv8h said:
Just wanted to say "stunning shot Mitchell"!

Thanks, Tom.

I've been playing around with long pulse mode, but have not yet seen much wave like action. I'll need to keep making adjustments to get this thing right.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my MP40 crap the bed.....again. I am also over a week without a replacement. I beginning to fear that I made the wrong choice.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":1z94lw4u said:
I just had my MP40 crap the bed.....again. I am also over a week without a replacement. I beginning to fear that I made the wrong choice.
You know, I am wondering the same thing. I love the different options it can run and the strength of it, but it has its flaws. I hate the fact that you have to constantly adjust the magnet conection between the dry and wet side. I can't tell you how many times I have woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of dry/wet conection not spinning well. I have the feeling that even my new wet side assembly will be worn out soon enough. It is just so hard to lline them up correctly. Vibration, vibration, vibration!!!! It should just be one wet unit inside the tank. I think I will go tunz next time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be easy to line them up. If it keeps falling off it sounds like it may be installed incorrectly. Is it spaced right? Are you using the rubber gasket? Is the cord attached to the tank above the assembly? I have 4 of them on different tanks, and one on a Kalk reactor and have never had to adjust their positions.

Mitchell, if you want wave action, put the unit an inch or two below the surface and move to short pulse mode and then mess around with the duration. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine kept falling off. It seems that there are some bad bearings out there. Also, the ceramic collar was cracked. This will be the third problem with this MP40 in just a year:

First one was broken right out of the box. The second time the wet side locked up and needed replacing. And now the wet side is shot again.

I have another MP40 and so far no issues since I bought it 6 months ago.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was yours hung like the instructions say to hang it? With the sticky fastener and the zip ties? I think that would stop it from falling.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A vortech on a kalk stirrer RIch? A bit overkill is it? Please tell me at least it's only an MP10 :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":2q6rat87 said:
A vortech on a kalk stirrer RIch? A bit overkill is it? Please tell me at least it's only an MP10 :D

it's like an 80 gallon reactor - but it's an mp-20
:D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big a** kalk reactor! Do you do anything small? Or is it basically your top off reservoir? :D

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":1esfsnvt said:
It should be easy to line them up. If it keeps falling off it sounds like it may be installed incorrectly. Is it spaced right? Are you using the rubber gasket? Is the cord attached to the tank above the assembly? I have 4 of them on different tanks, and one on a Kalk reactor and have never had to adjust their positions.

Mitchell, if you want wave action, put the unit an inch or two below the surface and move to short pulse mode and then mess around with the duration. :D
I have already had to replace one wet unit. I do use the spacer. It seems to be running ok now. Just get a lot of vibration once and a while.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the spacer, the rubber piece that goes between the spacer and the glass.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave up on pulse modes yesterday and decided to just crank the MP40 up to 3/4 strength on lagoon mode. This is blowing the xenia around, but they don't seem all that bothered. I suspect this weed will just acclimate and adjust it's location in the tank. I really like how I can now see the pull on my sandbed at this higher speed. This is what I was looking for.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: