sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I ordered a fish from LiveAquaria yesterday and he arrived today. I opened the box up and the critters were not shipped properly! The water was freezing cold; there were no heat packs and they were not double bagged. My goby I originally thought arrived dead. I have since realized that he is clinging to life and I would very much like to save him. The water has warmed considerably since he arrived from just being in a heated building. The bag is currently floating in my fish tank as I desperately try to get him warmed up. Is there a chance that he is just extremely cold and will recover? Should I do anything with him? No, I do not have a quarantine tank (I know I know), but my tank has no other fish in it currently. Any help will be much appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sdbarton42":o4prq5l7 said:
ok so I ordered a fish from LiveAquaria yesterday and he arrived today. I opened the box up and the critters were not shipped properly! The water was freezing cold; there were no heat packs and they were not double bagged. My goby I originally thought arrived dead. I have since realized that he is clinging to life and I would very much like to save him. The water has warmed considerably since he arrived from just being in a heated building. The bag is currently floating in my fish tank as I desperately try to get him warmed up. Is there a chance that he is just extremely cold and will recover? Should I do anything with him? No, I do not have a quarantine tank (I know I know), but my tank has no other fish in it currently. Any help will be much appreciated!

Live Aquaria or Divers Den? Did it ship from CA?

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it shipped from California along with a peppermint shrimp and 6 tetras for my freshwater tank...all of which are doing fine

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering as Divers Den is packed insanely good.

The goby should be fine. Getting cold is much better then getting way too hot.

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok! good! i was really mad when i saw how horribly it was packed because i haven't had a problem with all my other orders from both california and wisconsin(?). I just checked on him and he's actually moving his caudal instead of just moving a pectoral and floating down on his side...thanks for the quick response!!!

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with cold water you have the added advantage of it's great capacity to hold dissolved oxygen.
So the fish in all likliehood will recover fine. Although I am sure by now you already know
the outcome. I was impressed to see the shipping regimen that came with the company
I ordered my coral from last week, two heat packs in the box and nice and toasty upon
arrival. Granted it was overnight delivery and I am in Memphis, home of the FedEx hub,
lol.

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well this is the first problem I've had. Normally there are heat packets and double/triple bagged, but not this time...i don't know...someone must have had too much to drink the night before!!! :wink:

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so....i walk in this evening all excited to see how my fish is doing...i look in the tank and he is in the grasp of one of my hermit crabs...being eaten...yeah...so apparently he wasn't healthy enough to get away from the crab...which i mean i had already gotten a refund since i thought he was dead on arrival, but it's still stinky...

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had bad experiences with LA shipped from cali, but never from WI.

I've also almost froze my fish before :p They can recover, and it's definitely better than boiling them. Sorry to hear about your goby. LA has a good DOA policy.

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they wouldn't ship me a new one...they're making me purchase more stuff to hit the $30 limit and they won't refund me for shipping...which ok I had other stuff in the order but I was kinda pissed that they wouldn't just send me another fish...first I have to spend another $15!!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a credit card? Seems like at this point, because of how your specimens were shipped, etcetera, it's time to get the cc company involved.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":l449g32j said:
Did you use a credit card? Seems like at this point, because of how your specimens were shipped, etcetera, it's time to get the cc company involved.

Quite possible she wants to do business with Dr F & S in the future ;) Go the CC route, most likely you'll get black listed.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sdbarton42":2dubjd9h said:
they wouldn't ship me a new one...they're making me purchase more stuff to hit the $30 limit and they won't refund me for shipping...which ok I had other stuff in the order but I was kinda pissed that they wouldn't just send me another fish...first I have to spend another $15!!!!

I would just ask for a refund if you don't plan on purchasing anything in the near future. Otherwise, they'll just hold the $15 credit for you until your next order. Alas, no vendor I know refunds for shipping (and I can understand this policy). It's the risk we take for mail-order livestock.

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think they're actually holding it for credit....i have my eye on an orange encrusting montipora to place in the top of my tank...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":2rmyhfe2 said:
seamaiden":2rmyhfe2 said:

Quite possible she wants to do business with Dr F & S in the future ;) Go the CC route, most likely you'll get black listed.
Yes, because shipping improperly packaged, frozen fish is the best way to keep 'em coming back.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":2zt8e17l said:
GreshamH":2zt8e17l said:
seamaiden":2zt8e17l said:

Yes, because shipping improperly packaged, frozen fish is the best way to keep 'em coming back.

Did I say that, or even remotely imply that Marina? I merely said if she disputed the charge I highly suspect she'll get black listed given they gave here credit for the DOA, I would. I did not approve of how the fish was shipped. Stuff happens when companies don't pack their own fish. This is why I only get stuff from Divers Den. Not to knock O2O as a vast majority of their shipments are great, and there are thousands of posts/reviews to this point.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only go the CC route as a last resort (neither the vendor or CC companies like you doing this). But I can't see ever having to do this with LA.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really a credit if the customer has to spend more money in order for the company to make good on it? This person isn't talking about getting shipping back, but I'm inclined to argue if the animals were not packaged properly. Or did you miss this part?

sdbarton42":3op4z6tt said:
well this is the first problem I've had. Normally there are heat packets and double/triple bagged, but not this time...i don't know...someone must have had too much to drink the night before!!! :wink:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":1h2h4935 said:
Is it really a credit if the customer has to spend more money in order for the company to make good on it? This person isn't talking about getting shipping back, but I'm inclined to argue if the animals were not packaged properly. Or did you miss this part?

sdbarton42":1h2h4935 said:

They're providing full credit on the fish ($15), but as their policies go, they require a $30 minimum order to ship out an order. So you can either use the $15 full credit for future orders, or ask for a refund.

I am totally sympathetic with having to deal with the fallout of a shipment that clearly was the fault of the shipper. But LiveAquaria is honoring their stated DOA policies (as LA is known for). Reimbursing shipping expenses (partial or otherwise) would be nice, but no live stock mail order vendor I know does this (whoever's fault it is), so I don't hold it against LA.

Personally, I'm with Gresham and only order from Diver's Den. I've had problems only from the Cali shipments (which I got full store credit on).

Poor goby though ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: