sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow didn't mean to start an argument on here! I will definitely ty to use Diver's Den from now on. After this weekend my peppermint shrimp and freshwater fish all look fine...and i know my hermit crab is healthy :lol: live and learn is all i can say!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:lol:

This seems to be a sore spot with some of the people here who still work in the industry--customer service. I have already outlined and explained that I have high standards of customer service and give/practice those same high standards in my own businesses. I already know that there are people here who severely disagree with me.

It makes sense to me that if the vendor did not ensure that the animals were packed properly for shipping in cold conditions, they should eat the cost. If their shipper didn't handle the animals properly *they* should eat the cost (of that animal, not the shipping, because you received the animals therefore should not get the shipping cost back). The customer, who did nothing wrong by entering into a business contract (I pay you $XXX and you give me XXX) should *not* eat anything when they've held up their end of the bargain. Thusly, they should just send out another fish, properly packed this time, to replace the one lost due to either bad packaging or poor handling by their shipper.

That just seems so much more reasonable to me.

<shrug>

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":1gx9q01z said:
:lol:

This seems to be a sore spot with some of the people here who still work in the industry--customer service. I have already outlined and explained that I have high standards of customer service and give/practice those same high standards in my own businesses. I already know that there are people here who severely disagree with me.

It makes sense to me that if the vendor did not ensure that the animals were packed properly for shipping in cold conditions, they should eat the cost. If their shipper didn't handle the animals properly *they* should eat the cost (of that animal, not the shipping, because you received the animals therefore should not get the shipping cost back). The customer, who did nothing wrong by entering into a business contract (I pay you $XXX and you give me XXX) should *not* eat anything when they've held up their end of the bargain. Thusly, they should just send out another fish, properly packed this time, to replace the one lost due to either bad packaging or poor handling by their shipper.

That just seems so much more reasonable to me.

<shrug>
I agree with you from the customer service point of view. However, we as customers enter business contracts, and those contracts have stipulations that we too are bound by. Their policy is clearly stated on their site and was followed when the time came to do so. As much as I would want a new fish, I cannot complain when the vendor follows the contract.

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you both...as much as I feel like I should just have been shipped a new fish I understand as well the fact that I have to eat shipping...however...the other week I ordered a coral and some other things and then canceled the order but did nto realize that one half came from california and the other half came from wisconsin and only the california order got canceled...so when two days later i re-ordered the coral from wisconsin i ended up with two corals!!! i called them up when i realized the day the second coral shipped what had happened and they refunded me the ENTIRE second purchase shipping included...so i got a 2 corals for the price of one because the second had already shipped and they couldn't do anything about it...i don't know if the difference in customer service is because of the fact that one came from wisconsin and this fish came from calfornia...just kinda weird...

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":qq69g4cx said:
Yes, because shipping improperly packaged, frozen fish is the best way to keep 'em coming back.
Personally I just took this as a clever quip, not a hack. I guess everybody just let it go, as a good forum always should.
And it sounds like SD also got a little more for his money than he bargained for, so maybe the whole issue is dead at
this point. Credit is fine with me, as I am usually a bit of an addict when it comes to this stuff, and I am going to get
my money one day in the near future, anyway. I am gonna guess that was a blastomussa, too? Not a bad 2 for 1 if
you ask me, lol.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sdbarton42":16h71bys said:
I agree with you both...as much as I feel like I should just have been shipped a new fish I understand as well the fact that I have to eat shipping...however...the other week I ordered a coral and some other things and then canceled the order but did nto realize that one half came from california and the other half came from wisconsin and only the california order got canceled...so when two days later i re-ordered the coral from wisconsin i ended up with two corals!!! i called them up when i realized the day the second coral shipped what had happened and they refunded me the ENTIRE second purchase shipping included...so i got a 2 corals for the price of one because the second had already shipped and they couldn't do anything about it...i don't know if the difference in customer service is because of the fact that one came from wisconsin and this fish came from calfornia...just kinda weird...
Someone didn't check the weather to see that much of the rest of the nation is practically frozen. I'm heading to SoCal today (I live in the Sierra Nevada), and I was floored when I checked the weather. I have to shave my legs and get out my shorts! :shock: Had I not checked I would have been completely unprepared, hairy, and wearing nothing but layers and layers of clothing to keep warm. :lol:

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":2npkkfh1 said:
Someone didn't check the weather to see that much of the rest of the nation is practically frozen. I'm heading to SoCal today (I live in the Sierra Nevada), and I was floored when I checked the weather. I have to shave my legs and get out my shorts! :shock: Had I not checked I would have been completely unprepared, hairy, and wearing nothing but layers and layers of clothing to keep warm. :lol:

:lol: most definitely!!!!!!!

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. That really sucks. IMO, I think that the best thing to do is ask your LFS to order it for you. That way you eliminate this problem and you don;t pay shipping. I had my lfs order me a jaw fish. Took about two weeks but they got it. Jumped out of my tank about a week later. SOL anyway. :x

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raskal311":2y88vk63 said:
Just wondering but does anyone know if the 'packer' credits LA back the cost of the DOA?

So you're asking if O2O gives DOA credit to LA? I highly doubt it.

sdbarton42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":2q0ttozv said:
Sorry to hear this. That really sucks. IMO, I think that the best thing to do is ask your LFS to order it for you. That way you eliminate this problem and you don;t pay shipping. I had my lfs order me a jaw fish. Took about two weeks but they got it. Jumped out of my tank about a week later. SOL anyway. :x

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry for your loss ST but that is just too funny...pretty much made my night...i guess just the way it was written. My lfs is really small and I have tried to get them to order stuff for me but the supplier they get there stuff from is really limited on what they have and they always give me the response well we sometimes get those but i'm not sure when they will be available type thing. But now that at least 2 out of my 6 freshwater fish that i ordered from liveaquaria have died after o about a week in my tank i'd say i'm not ordering any fish from them anymore. So if anyone has any suggestons for online fish ordering...or maybe i should just try and stick with my lfs. i'm just in a small town so i don't have any fancy stores like the one in massachusetts(?) i dunno the big fancy one that is up there somewhere or like i'm sure SoCal has...

Petsolutions

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always felt that it is important to support the local stores as well as ordering online from online retailers. My thoughts on that apply to not only my fish keeping experience, but also some of my other hobbies as well (I like to go backpacking). like to support my local backpacking supply outfitter as often as possible, but sometimes they just don't carry what I'm looking for and I need to go online to find it. I work for an online pet supply retailer and live fish retailer but I do suggest customers check their local stores for certain things when it is appropriate to do so. However, if the local store I had access to was not maintained well or was just overall a badly run store that I didn't have good experiences in, my choice would be to go completely online for ordering.

"Window shop" a bit with the different online retailers. If you are ordering freshwater fish, see who has the best control over their freshwater livestock. Do the same with saltwater fish/corals/inverts. You may go with one online retailer for all of your supplies, another for live freshwater fish, and yet another for live saltwater fish. Or you may order everything from one place.

Petsolutions

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sdbarton42":iu2daz8t said:
PSLive":iu2daz8t said:
If you are ordering freshwater fish, see who has the best control over their freshwater livestock.
what do you mean by this?

Well, from what some other folks posted earlier in the thread, it seems that they are often more comfortable purchasing items they know are coming directly from the company, such as Live Aquaria's Diver's Den program or Petsolutions Pick of the Reef program when it comes to buying saltwater items like corals.

I mention it because you said you were more comfortable purchasing locally after having an online experience you didn't enjoy, so my thought for you was maybe to shop around online a bit. Talk to some folks online who sell the freshwater or saltwater fish you are looking for, and then try to get a feel for them a bit by asking some questions before purchasing. That could be the company you just purchased the order from and weren't entirely satisfied with, or it could include one of the other online retailers.

These days many online ordering experiences by customers are very impersonal just by the nature of the medium, but from time to time you can still find someone at a retailer either in brick and mortar format locally or online, who you can develop a good relationship with. The person you work with there may remember you were trying to track down some Discus or a particular saltwater trigger and they see that the ones they receive a few weeks later are exceptional quality and drop you an email to suggest you check them out.

Just my two cents, everyone has their own ways they like to shop online, that's just the way I tend to do it with my different hobbies. I'm sure there are other folks here who have purchased online even more than I have who probably have their own way of shopping as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in the LA area, finding something locally was never a problem. Now where I am the one local shop that might have been able to supply was put out of business temporarily by Petco. She's come back, "new" location, much smaller business, but the point is that due to her business size she is often specifically excluded from purchasing certain items and livestock. In fact, if I wanted much more than the basic Petschmo/Walmart fare I'd have to either drive out to Sact'o or SF.
sdbarton42":2alqi8td said:
seamaiden":2alqi8td said:

:lol: most definitely!!!!!!!
It was gorgeous in SoCal these past couple of days. Very surprising, not even a marine layer (though I could see it in the basin proper).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marine layer is a layer of low clouds that moves in over much of, if not most of, the LA basin during most of the year, though some months are marine layer-free for the most part. It is most prevalent during June, and is known in the area also as June gloom. It just hangs overhead, not fog, not clouds, making everything a uniform gray. Sometimes it's only hanging on during morning hours and burns off by noon, maybe earlier. Other times it's there all day long and is positively dreary.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":2elyjl2s said:

I ordered from FraggleReef and they specifically state that you should provide your local weather/temp so that they can pack accordingly. So they leave it in your hands.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: