Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So I know that I can have a tank up and running in 7 days has anyone ever been brave enough to to add a sps and if so is it a good idea? I am asking for a friend ???? in all the years of reefing I have always been the damsels rock sand and cycle type of guy, just want to know because I want to rush a build ???

this was done with dry rock and did and instant sps acro reef
looks amazing
although i wouldn’t suggest it
this is the exception most will fail with a instant sps tank and dry rock

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I’m in only because I know that sps like really clean water and I’m thinking if I do it run just coral and a limited clean up crew for the first few months then add a fish or two I’m hoping to succeed with calcuium reactor and dozer for alk mag and on occasion cal supplement I am hoping I can get by

Rating - 100%
26   0   1
My current tank is 95% reused dry rock. Added a few small pieces of caribbean live rock. Acropora put in day three....Is now 3 months old....over 60 frags and small colonies. I've lost maybe three frags (from overdosing DipX when dipping). Even harder stuff like Red Dragon and Pearlberry are growing better than any of my previous (well over 10) setups. There's no reason to wait if you know what you're doing and can watch your levels.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My current tank is 95% reused dry rock. Added a few small pieces of caribbean live rock. Acropora put in day three....Is now 3 months old....over 60 frags and small colonies. I've lost maybe three frags (from overdosing DipX when dipping). Even harder stuff like Red Dragon and Pearlberry are growing better than any of my previous (well over 10) setups. There's no reason to wait if you know what you're doing and can watch your levels.
That’s what I’m thinking as well after 20 years in the hobby I’m talking lees skimmer and t12 vho bulbs and no info in 2001 where I had to sit the water on my dresser and wait a few days for the de chlorinated water and salt to dissolve and damsels for cycling I just don’t want to go ahead and buy high end and regret it a week later

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So it’s safe to say I can run an sps system with no fish or should I add a fish?

Rating - 100%
26   0   1
I think it's a case by case basis...I'm treating the corals as 100% autotrophs....grow them like plants. Just enough snails and tangs to keep the algae at bay. I'd run low nutrients (I'm at zero PO4 and NO3) but I'm feeding and get excellent growth and nothing is pale so I know nutrients are available. I'm lucky enough to WFH and look at my corals maybe 20 times a day so YMMV...

Rating - 100%
27   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: