BingoReefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a quarantine tank for some corals and want to seed it with some live rock or ceramic bricks, but I don't have any extra to pull from my main display. How long would I need to leave a piece of live rock or a ceramic bio block in my sump/main display before it would be adequately seeded with beneficial bacteria?

BingoReefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to seed it with something, water, sand, something. You can theoretically just add some dry fish food and a cup of tank water. It is obviously best if you get the tank water from a tank that is free of pests.
I am going to seed it with rock/ceramic media from my main display. But first I need to buy more rock for main display because I don't have any extra in there to take out. So I am asking how long does it take for a piece of rock to become filled with bacteria once it is placed in an already up-and-running tank.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I am going to seed it with rock/ceramic media from my main display. But first I need to buy more rock for main display because I don't have any extra in there to take out. So I am asking how long does it take for a piece of rock to become filled with bacteria once it is placed in an already up-and-running tank.
It depends on a lot of variables, the size of the rock, how much bacteria there is in both tanks, how much waste product there is for the bacteria to eat.

You don't need a huge piece of rock to seed it. Just some sand or rubble. Put that on top of the ceramic media in the new tank and add a small bit of dry fish food. If you have a lot of media in the tank then after a few days or so it should smell like rotten eggs and the water may be a bit yellow. A few days after that it will clear. Then test and see what is happening.

You can never have too much media/rock in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: