Jaydontlag_

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
Curious to know how is everyone combating this heat and maintaining the temperature in their aquarium? Especially the smaller nano tanks?

I personally have cooling fans on my 30 gallon and I got home from work today and tank was reading close to 84 degrees. I’m waiting on a pump for a small chiller I’m going to be hooking up on it soon. But curious to know how is everyone else managing this heat?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
a fan, directed against the water surface, not blowing at an off angle, but directly perpendicular will reduce the water temp by 4 to 6 degrees. If the air flow is focused and funneled down, it's much more effective. The faster the air moves, the cooler the water. I use 2 x 120 mm computer fans, in my canopy and I use clear plastic sheets (from the pre washed salad mixes) cut to form walls to direct the wind right to the water. That way it's as if the fan was only 1 inch off the water surface, but without the risk of short circuiting or rusting.
I also use a jeboa thermostat from amazon to turn on when the water gets too hot, but turn off when the water hits its target temp, otherwise, the water could crash to the low 70s overnight if the AC is on, which is bad. the thermostat has a probe, which I leave in the water.

Jaydontlag_

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
a fan, directed against the water surface, not blowing at an off angle, but directly perpendicular will reduce the water temp by 4 to 6 degrees. If the air flow is focused and funneled down, it's much more effective. The faster the air moves, the cooler the water. I use 2 x 120 mm computer fans, in my canopy and I use clear plastic sheets (from the pre washed salad mixes) cut to form walls to direct the wind right to the water. That way it's as if the fan was only 1 inch off the water surface, but without the risk of short circuiting or rusting.
I also use a jeboa thermostat from amazon to turn on when the water gets too hot, but turn off when the water hits its target temp, otherwise, the water could crash to the low 70s overnight if the AC is on, which is bad. the thermostat has a probe, which I leave in the water.
Thanks for sharing your method of cooling your tank.
I’ve even heard of people leaving their air conditioners on all day. There’s no way I’m paying that premium lol

I have my cooling fans and I leave my windows open in my apartment and pray that I don’t come home to a cooked reef. Which I just recently read that leaving your windows open during a heat wave is actually not a good idea. Go figure

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Thanks for sharing your method of cooling your tank.
I’ve even heard of people leaving their air conditioners on all day. There’s no way I’m paying that premium lol

I have my cooling fans and I leave my windows open in my apartment and pray that I don’t come home to a cooked reef. Which I just recently read that leaving your windows open during a heat wave is actually not a good idea. Go figure
Personally, I set my AC to 77-79F 24 hours a day, and the fans maintain the water at 77F, with the jebao thermostat cut off at 77 so that's my target temp.. Evaporative cooling doesn't work if it's humid.
In the past, I would get home, then turn on the AC for 75 (leaving it off during the day). When I did this, the water was 86F, but without the thermostat control, the water would drop to 74 by morning, which was a huge swing.
Regardless of using the AC, get the thermostat for the fans, then you can decide to use your AC or not. You can save on your electric bill, by setting the AC to 80F. That would kick in in the afternoon when it gets warm outside, but would just be in the fan mode during the morning. Temp stability is key for your reef. with the air temp at max 80, you'll be able to keep your water temp cooler at your jebao set point.

Jaydontlag_

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
Personally, I set my AC to 77-79F 24 hours a day, and the fans maintain the water at 77F, with the jebao thermostat cut off at 77 so that's my target temp.. Evaporative cooling doesn't work if it's humid.
In the past, I would get home, then turn on the AC for 75 (leaving it off during the day). When I did this, the water was 86F, but without the thermostat control, the water would drop to 74 by morning, which was a huge swing.
Regardless of using the AC, get the thermostat for the fans, then you can decide to use your AC or not. You can save on your electric bill, by setting the AC to 80F. That would kick in in the afternoon when it gets warm outside, but would just be in the fan mode during the morning. Temp stability is key for your reef. with the air temp at max 80, you'll be able to keep your water temp cooler at your jebao set point.
Oh I do have a thermostat. Which controls when the fan turns on/off to the set temp of 79. I do however find that evaporative cooling has its limitations since I do not leave my ac on all day. I’m going through RODI water like it’s no one’s business and there’s only so much cooling that fans can do. That’s why I’m surveying to see what everyone else does to combat these very warm conditions. Thanks for sharing again on your method. Leaving my ac on all day is not an option, which is why I invested in a chiller as well for back up. Happy reefing

Rating - 100%
575   0   0
you can also fill empty water bottles with tap water and freeze and drop in tank. can also just refreeze them.
I would fill them up with ro not tap. Just in case the bottle cracks and u dumping tap water in ur reef

I keep an ac on 24/7 during the summer in my fish room
you can also fill empty water bottles with tap water and freeze and drop in tank. can also just refreeze them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: