Daduate

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the easiest ways you guys do water changes with your sump systems? I have a 40 gallon breeder and right now I can only take out about 5 gallons at a time before My return pump is almost exposed to air. I guess that’s OK because right now it’s taking me about an hour to make one 5 gallon bucket of rODI water. I was just wondering if you guys had any different solutions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daduate

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t clarify I have a H.O.B overflow not a drilled tank

Daduate

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would have to restart the damn syphons(it has 2 ) with the hoses again …I hate doing that

BigA-quariums

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry I didn’t clarify I have a H.O.B overflow not a drilled tank

What overflow do you have? You shouldn’t have to restart the siphon if both ends of the upipe stay submerged under water when there’s no flow. I shut my return pump off everyday to feed and the siphon starts right back up. I have the eshopps hob 1200

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What are the easiest ways you guys do water changes with your sump systems? I have a 40 gallon breeder and right now I can only take out about 5 gallons at a time before My return pump is almost exposed to air. I guess that’s OK because right now it’s taking me about an hour to make one 5 gallon bucket of rODI water. I was just wondering if you guys had any different solutions

I am lucky to have the space since I plumbed to the basement. I am using a 75g as a refugium that is fed from a split off the return pump and drains back into the sump. I added a valve to bypass the 75g back to the sump when I want to change water so the display never stops running. I drain out of the fuge, refill, and then turn the valve back on and shut off the bypass valve and done. This is when I first plumbed in the fuge.
DE739B09-3A1A-47AA-8D59-6630DDACA149.jpeg

Daduate

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear with me guys when I say I’m new I’m YouTube taught only . So if the water level drops below the interior overflow boxes lines , you guys are saying the syphon will not lose prime?
4837289d2a7a45119c66cd9e790de712.jpg

621bc4e0b5c57dbc0747ec1890869220.jpg

Daduate

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8d48844a3a79dd2de5b07b074455eabd.jpg

This is my 40g fuge setup rsk300, tunze fuge light , and sicce return 1320gph. Have that marine brick in there with chaeto.

Last edited:

Daduate

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank I’m dealing with a hell of an algae outbreak since I put all that aquascaped rock in about a week or two ago
00f9683f72ad8b50096529734ce27b6f.jpg

From left to right interior equip is as follows return pump , fixed flow powerhead, uv sterilizer two 300w heaters and another Powerade fixed flow .

Daduate

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just humbly asking for any help / suggestions . I have the 150gpd Rodi from Brs that I use for base water. I saw a huge leap in water quality, just can’t imagine what else the algae could be coming from other than the rock. no feeding schedules or amounts have changed . I change 10% weekly with 25% on every 4th change . Change filter socks ….. I’m at a loss . I want some better powerheads I really cheaper out on the ones I purchased initially

Timfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, if your overflow is set up properly the water level in the indie and outside boxes should equalize and the siphons should not loose their prime.

If the siphons are loosing their prime there's a couple issues that might be causing it. One is the drain in the outside box is below the level of the intake of the siphons which would drop the water level to the point the siphons would loose their prime. Another is the filter material is lifting the siphons up too high and they're loosing their prime.

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
An auto water exchange system would be perfect for you. Two peristaltic pumps and a mixing station and you'd be all set. Has been so easy to reef, since I set mine up. Takes some work to implement, but well worth it.

Daduate

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, if your overflow is set up properly the water level in the indie and outside boxes should equalize and the siphons should not loose their prime.

If the siphons are loosing their prime there's a couple issues that might be causing it. One is the drain in the outside box is below the level of the intake of the siphons which would drop the water level to the point the siphons would loose their prime. Another is the filter material is lifting the siphons up too high and they're loosing their prime.

Ty I’ll check that out . The filter material is phosphate pads in an attempt to fight algae

Daduate

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An auto water exchange system would be perfect for you. Two peristaltic pumps and a mixing station and you'd be all set. Has been so easy to reef, since I set mine up. Takes some work to implement, but well worth it.

Have any links?

JJSBLM

Crazy Pico guy
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Bear with me guys when I say I’m new I’m YouTube taught only . So if the water level drops below the interior overflow boxes lines , you guys are saying the syphon will not lose prime?
4837289d2a7a45119c66cd9e790de712.jpg

621bc4e0b5c57dbc0747ec1890869220.jpg

The overflow box will have water in it. It will not loose siphon. You can test this reality by unplugging the return pump.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you recently added rock or more rock to the tank it is likely the reason for an algae bloom. Was the rock dry, live rock fresh from another established tank, please elaborate. You may have triggered a cycle or mini cycle. Have you checked your levels?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: