greengny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
So, I'll be the "Dad" of the forum. Been in this hobby for 40 years, all kinds of situations, Short term set ups, long term set ups, large tanks, small tanks, nano's, etc. SPS, LPS, combinations of the two. Also did commercial reef tank maintenance for a time.

The amount of time needed to dedicate to a reef is directly correlated to the size of the tank, among other things. Access to RODI water. Storage of water for water changes, disposal of water changes, landlords, smell (at times), spills, etc. It's a lot of work, even for a well established tank, which you do not have. In my opinion, it takes 1 to 2 years to fully establish/stabilize a reef. This is also dependent on the type of rock you purchase and the amount of care and time you apply to the reef.

You are a young guy, in a new home, in a new job, working 60-70 hours a week, "seeking relationships", cooking or eating/drinking out, potentially moving in 1 to 2 years.

If you were my son, :cool:, I'd say stay with the pico, or maybe go up to a 5 - 7 gallon and enjoy your new life without the additional pressures of starting (and moving) a new 50-70 gal reef. To me it's about priorities, Family, Health, Job, Money, New Relationships, Reef tank. God willing, you have your whole life ahead of you to build a beautiful reef. Dad out!

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I've had a 130g in my apartment. Had issues related to heat exhaust, RODI waste line, and of course a few floods (luckily nothing that affected the neighbors).

When designing the tank setup, layout, routing of cords, water lines, etc, all of this is likely to be constrained by space. This might make you try to do some odd things, which likely sacrifice safety. For example, if you don't have enough room for maintenance, or working with the power cords, then you're not going to be able to do the work necessary to maintain the tank.

I think the major thing to consider is the weight bearing capability of the floor. After that it is all about logistics and good automation.

Right now I have a 23g tank and it's enough.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Do you live in Manhattan? I’m wondering how I’m going to get a tank delivered to my apartment, only around 50g.

Seems like it would be nearly impossible.
Why? Where are you buying the tank? You can pay for delivery. I know a ton of places that could help you out if you bought the tank and some gear from them. Hell, there are people who will come and set the whole thing up for you.

It's NYC, we have 24 hour cookie stores that deliver, why would you have any problem finding someone to help?

laurenceoleveda

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm graduating college this spring and starting a job in Manhattan and moving there for a two year job. I've always enjoyed reef keeping (have two clownfish living in my tank back home) and currently have a 3 gallon in my dorm room with no fish but a lot of soft corals.

I'm debating whether I should get a larger tank (50 or 70 gallon) for my apartment tank in NYC. My concern is that I'll likely be moving apartments in one or two years due to my work contract ending, relationships, etc. When I move, I don't want to stress the fish and corals too much and moving a big tank across the city will also be a massive hassle without a car. My time will also be constrained by my work, which will be 60-70 hours a week, although I want to only get hardy tank habitants to make up for that. Is it worth getting a bigger tank or should I stick with my 3 gallon pico and only upgrade when I'm more settled career and relationship-wise.

The thing is I am really busy, as I am a student now, and i think i need a small tank so it's not going to take too much of my time. Or, I could probably solve all my homeworks and write essays using this essay help service https://papersowl.com/ and in that case I will be able to get a bigger one. what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!
I have a similar situation, and I am using a small aquarium, about 30 gallons, and thats just fine for me and my inhabitants! The biggest advantage is that its easy to move

Last edited:

miamiluis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I'm with Greengny 100%. There's just no way that you'll be able to balance a new job, relationship, not to mention enjoying the city in your 20's with a 50-70G reef.

As a real estate broker, I can tell you that the NYC standard bloomberg lease (which is what almost everyone uses, whether free market or rent stabilized) has a clause negating the ability to keep an aquarium. This is largely due to spills as also mentioned earlier in the thread. Spills are inevitable in our hobby, whether you trip over a bucket, syphon onto your floor instead of your bucket, or the classic "I left my RODI running into the two apartments below me and got a call from my angry landlord while I was out to dinner." No matter if you keep to a 10G or a 70G, DO NOT TELL your landlord, since he/she will say 'NO' without exception.

If you do decide to go for it, then you'll need an RODI under your sink in the kitchen, lots of planning on how to avoid spills, and ONLY make fresh RODI over your kitchen sink or in your bathtub so that when you forget to shut it off, it doesn't spill to the two units below you.

I would stick to a 10G for the time being my friend. Enjoy your 20's!!!!

Andrew_H

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely doable! I have a 100 gallon in my apartment in soho going on almost three years. I work very long hours and travel constantly (80+ flights / year), but I spent a lot of time and money automating the system as much as possible. I wanted the whole thing built so that I could go 2-3 weeks without anyone having to physically touch it, and I have succeeded in that for the most part. I would not have done it at this scale if I knew I would be moving in two years or less, but a 30-50 gallon tank with less automation equipment is probably a lot easier to move.

I had my tank custom built and professional aquarium movers drove it from PA / South Jersey. I had my stand and plumbing ready on delivery day, so they dropped it right into place and I haven't moved it a centimeter since. I am dreading the day I move from this rental apartment, but I take comfort in knowing there are aquarium moving services in NYC which will remove and host the livestock, drain the tank, set up it at new location, and reintroduce the livestock.

My (now aged) build thread on R2R covers a lot of the crazy things I went through to make it all work in a one bedroom NYC apartment. I spent YEARS planning this and hundreds of labor hours so that everything worked perfectly. Happy to help with any ideas or questions if you decide to pull the trigger.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
One other thing to consider is how you can lower the amount of regular maintenance required.

For example, if you were able to control yourself when buying things and not heavily stock the tank, and regularly trim out overgrown coral, you would be able to have a much lighter bioload. This translates to fewer water changes, less glass cleaning, less filter maintenance, etc. A lightly loaded tank is much simpler.

Reefaddict123

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I have a 12 gallon mixed reef with lots of SPS as well as a 5 gallon anemone tank. I would NOT have a large tank when you have a demanding job. Everything is on dosers and auto top off's. I change out 2 gallons in the 12 and 1 gallon in the 5 per week; have mixed salt water in a 3 gallon bucket as well as 3 gallons of rodi made on the weekends. Still very enjoyable to have a nano and they fill a lot quicker/ less money on fish etc.

sgdcover

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi,

I'm graduating college this spring and starting a job in Manhattan and moving there for a two year job. I've always enjoyed reef keeping (have two clownfish living in my tank back home) and currently have a 3 gallon in my dorm room with no fish but a lot of soft corals.

I'm debating whether I should get a larger tank (50 or 70 gallon) for my apartment tank in NYC. My concern is that I'll likely be moving apartments in one or two years due to my work contract ending, relationships, etc. When I move, I don't want to stress the fish and corals too much and moving a big tank across the city will also be a massive hassle without a car. My time will also be constrained by my work, which will be 60-70 hours a week, although I want to only get hardy tank habitants to make up for that. Is it worth getting a bigger tank or should I stick with my 3 gallon pico and only upgrade when I'm more settled career and relationship-wise.

Thanks in advance!
I’ve done and had only one problem. Keeping the temp stable in Fall and spring. I upgraded the thermostat to one that automatically switched between heat and AC and got a chiller. Also check your lease. They may cap the size or state that you have to get permission. If it doesn’t reference a tank or water containers ie tanks, waterbeds, hydroponics, etc. then do it but since they can be jerks sometimes try to not let them see you. Also- get renters insurance and make sure it’ll cover any damage done by the tank.

bfernandez19

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for it. Get all the automated gadgets you can buy with 75 or 90 aqueon full setup and you should be fine. Rodi just have it delivered to your apt and the rest is history.

Tafiza

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'll be the "Dad" of the forum. Been in this hobby for 40 years, all kinds of situations, Short term set ups, long term set ups, large tanks, small tanks, nano's, etc. SPS, LPS, combinations of the two. Also did commercial reef tank maintenance for a time.

The amount of time needed to dedicate to a reef is directly correlated to the size of the tank, among other things. Access to RODI water. Storage of water for water changes, disposal of water changes, landlords, smell (at times), spills, etc. It's a lot of work, even for a well established tank, which you do not have. In my opinion, it takes 1 to 2 years to fully establish/stabilize a reef. This is also dependent on the type of rock you purchase and the amount of care and time you apply to the reef.

You are a young guy, in a new home, in a new job, working 60-70 hours a week, "seeking relationships", cooking or eating/drinking out, potentially moving in 1 to 2 years.
I think that every student has faced the fact that he finds a new study program and thinks whether it is necessary to study it or can be skipped. I myself thought so for a long time, but then here I found just about one of such options. If you are also interested, you can study everything in detail here reviews and come to some conclusions for yourself. I think it will be useful for you. I hope I was able to help.
If you were my son, :cool:, I'd say stay with the pico, or maybe go up to a 5 - 7 gallon and enjoy your new life without the additional pressures of starting (and moving) a new 50-70 gal reef. To me it's about priorities, Family, Health, Job, Money, New Relationships, Reef tank. God willing, you have your whole life ahead of you to build a beautiful reef. Dad out!
Attract attention and boost excitement with our Sale vector graphics. These dynamic illustrations feature eye-catching sale vector designs that convey the spirit of discounts and promotions. Ideal for creating visually appealing banners, flyers, or advertisements for sales events.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: