discofan

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm graduating college this spring and starting a job in Manhattan and moving there for a two year job. I've always enjoyed reef keeping (have two clownfish living in my tank back home) and currently have a 3 gallon in my dorm room with no fish but a lot of soft corals.

I'm debating whether I should get a larger tank (50 or 70 gallon) for my apartment tank in NYC. My concern is that I'll likely be moving apartments in one or two years due to my work contract ending, relationships, etc. When I move, I don't want to stress the fish and corals too much and moving a big tank across the city will also be a massive hassle without a car. My time will also be constrained by my work, which will be 60-70 hours a week, although I want to only get hardy tank habitants to make up for that. Is it worth getting a bigger tank or should I stick with my 3 gallon pico and only upgrade when I'm more settled career and relationship-wise.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

discofan

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the apartment building have an elevator? Not fun carrying a ‘large’ tank up or down stairs.
Yes, it does thankfully. My bigger concern is how I would move it from my old building to a new one when I move... maybe just Uber across town?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
A lot of people do. When you go to move you have a number of choices, selling everything and starting over, putting thing in a Rubbermaid containers and moving them over, or you could also buy a new tank, set it up at the new place, and then move everything over. The last option is a good way of upgrading. Another thing, is if the apartment is yours, as if not, you could be forced to leave rather quickly.

The bigger issue would be the amount of time. Keeping a bigger reef can be time consuming, and if you don't have the time, then the tank will most likely suffer.

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I kept a 75 in a 3 floor Brooklyn walk up / rental for a number of years. Full blown mixed reef with SPS. It did require peeving off my landlord, more than once. You will have inevitable spills and leaks and will likely have to filter water. Other than the potential liability, actually having a reef in a NYC apartment is clearly doable, or this site wouldn't exist. Is it worth it? I suppose only you can answer that question. Personally, I wouldn't have done it without a vehicle. I did however work quite long hours. That was a mixed bag. I loved coming home to the reef, but leaving it when there was a potential problem, was really stressful. Perhaps, have a tank and hire a service or friend to help maintain it. That way, you will be covered no matter what, especially when you have to move.

discofan

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a 75 in a 3 floor Brooklyn walk up / rental for a number of years. Full blown mixed reef with SPS. It did require peeving off my landlord, more than once. You will have inevitable spills and leaks and will likely have to filter water. Other than the potential liability, actually having a reef in a NYC apartment is clearly doable, or this site wouldn't exist. Is it worth it? I suppose only you can answer that question. Personally, I wouldn't have done it without a vehicle. I did however work quite long hours. That was a mixed bag. I loved coming home to the reef, but leaving it when there was a potential problem, was really stressful. Perhaps, have a tank and hire a service or friend to help maintain it. That way, you will be covered no matter what, especially when you have to move.
Thanks for sharing. I envision my tank as my nice piece of calm that I can come home to after a long day at work. I'm aware of the work of the tank and will have some roommates I can outsource the work to if something bad happens.

I will definitely have a convo with my landlord and am thinking more in the ballpark of 50 gallon instead of 75 gallon.

JPark457

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No apartment is going to happily have you put 75 gallons of water in a glass box. I think if you ask they will say no.

It’s totally doable if it’s something you want but may be because of the likely moves and hassle of apartment size etc stick to like a 40g as bigger but still small enough to be easy to pack along when it’s time to go.

I have moved a 40g tank alone but 75 starts to get a lot trickier logistically. You will also need a moving truck or van for sure for anything bigger than that. Even 40 g is likely to not easily fit in a regular sized car when you add a stand and stuff in.

slg9s

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 55g in NYC - it's definitely doable. Two comments though:
1) make sure there's somewhere you can connect a RODI filter to the plumbing (i.e. washing machine) - you 100% need one
2) moving will suck; i haven't had to yet but imagine it will add more than $1k to your moving expenses one way or another

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I would go with like a 40 long with the intent of selling everything when it's time to leave. As someone mentioned you could buy a new tank and bring over some select inhabitants and equipment but sell everything else to someone from here who'll pick it up including the old tank so you don't have to haul it over to your new place.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm graduating college this spring and starting a job in Manhattan and moving there for a two year job. I've always enjoyed reef keeping (have two clownfish living in my tank back home) and currently have a 3 gallon in my dorm room with no fish but a lot of soft corals.

I'm debating whether I should get a larger tank (50 or 70 gallon) for my apartment tank in NYC. My concern is that I'll likely be moving apartments in one or two years due to my work contract ending, relationships, etc. When I move, I don't want to stress the fish and corals too much and moving a big tank across the city will also be a massive hassle without a car. My time will also be constrained by my work, which will be 60-70 hours a week, although I want to only get hardy tank habitants to make up for that. Is it worth getting a bigger tank or should I stick with my 3 gallon pico and only upgrade when I'm more settled career and relationship-wise.

Thanks in advance!
I would go bigger, 75 gallon, I'm in East Harlem and its going well with a 120 gallon. I moved it from the Bronx to here and it wasn't that bad. Your move is a 3 gallon so you'll be fine, just keep all the water so parameters don't swing much. I have a busy work schedule but my tank gives me a lot of tranquility. Only suggestion is to definitely get a tunze auto top off, that was a huge difference in not having huge swings in salinity. I feel RO should be a necessity but not option. Good luck

Arnold Sepa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a complete turn key Red Sea 170 fully stocked that I’m looking to move away from if your interested, apex controller and all, I’m located in jersey shoot me a txt if interested 9738510109

Vanilla

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll be ok. I have a 150 gallon and a 15 gallon cube in my apartment and it’s fine.
Do you live in Manhattan? I’m wondering how I’m going to get a tank delivered to my apartment, only around 50g.

Seems like it would be nearly impossible.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: