Brian65901

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
what can I do to lower my carbonate hardness I have 140 gallons in my system and Ive done 2- 35 gal water changes and its still maxes out my test kit at 16(using a Salifert test kit). When I test for Alkalinity using a Seachem kit I come up with 4.5 meq/L
My other numbers are:
Salinity 1.023
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
pH 8.6
Calcium 460
Amonia 0

I've been using Oceanic Salt in my next water change I'll try IO. I'm making up some RO/DI water as I write

Any help is appreciated

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What skimmer do you have?
do you have a lot of aeration and circulation?
sometimes increased aeration with regulate the Alk and p.h.

Brian65901

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a MRC 2 skimmer with a Velocity T4 pump on it. My recurculation pump is a Reeflo Snapper. In the tank I have 2 -Koralia 4's and 2-Maxijet 1200 with Hydor Flo's on them It is a new tank set up all I have in the tank is around 150# curred live rock and 3 Blue Damsels (for seeding)

tripstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had the same thing happen. Best course of action, do you a large wc. Be sure to test the new water. I had the same thing happen with Oceanic. I recommend IO or perhaps Tropic Marin.

Cloud1921

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Are you sure the salifert kit maxed out at 16DKH ?
I have never used the seachem kit, but there appears to be a
discrepancy on both readings.

Your pH and Calcium levels are bit high.
Your alk is also high on both kits.

As a solution, you can do large water changes.
An alternative is to "ride it out", turn off your reactors or stop dosing and let your levels drop in the right zone.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: