bfernandez19

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 14G reef tank at work that I am planning for simple reefing. At home I have a reef tank as well. When I do water changes I am planning to keep the old 5g water store it for couple of weeks then bring it to work to jump start the 14? what are the cons of storing old reef water? should I add heater and propeller pump to make it active?Attach files

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
The bacteria in the water will die and you will have an ammonia spike. You can aerate the water with a powerhead but still after a few weeks the water will be essentially dead (in terms of what you would want to keep alive in it).

You should instead transfer the water to the destination tank as soon as you can after removing it.

bfernandez19

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria in the water will die and you will have an ammonia spike. You can aerate the water with a powerhead but still after a few weeks the water will be essentially dead (in terms of what you would want to keep alive in it).

You should instead transfer the water to the destination tank as soon as you can after removing it.
alternative would setting up new saltwater add a piece of live rock and let it cure from there

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
water doesnt hold much bacteria, it grows on tank, rock and any other surface in tank.
i would take a few pieces from your tank and add some dry rock, put in a tote or brute with heater and power head and let it cook.

tacson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I treated my old water with ammo lock then add calcium , salt amd so on .. for a month then put it back to my main tank .. do the cycle again .. this i my way and ive been doing it for 3 plus years now ..

reef_commie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't repurpose old water unless it's directly from a water change and being used instantly. In the past I have kept a gallon or two of old water in case of any emergencies or sometimes to rinse out things I would add.

Treating old water to establish bacteria, nutrients, minerals etc seems like a lot of work, why not just make a fresh batch?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: