Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had a 20 long for most of reef keeping career. I have recently felt that since I heavily overstock it with coral, I have issues with stability (alk mostly even with dosing). I was thinking about adding a sump mostly for added water volume. I would be open to looking at new tanks if I don't have to completely change my lights (AI Hydra 26). Cant really be much bigger either, since I live in an apt.

Wondering what people think I should do.

1. Add a hang on back overflow and sump. (dont really have much experience with whether this is safe? which one to use?)
2. Buy a new similar tank, larger volume same foot print?, installed overflow? recommendations?
3. Would be open to hiring someone to help me set up a similar sized tank, with a sump

Last edited:

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
For the longest time (12 years) I have used a U-Tube leading to a regular sump. They are not fashionable anymore, but if you clean them regularly, there are no issues (I never had it lose the siphon ever. The only problem is when algae grows too much in it and flows slows down, leading to an increase in water level).

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I have used an external overflow with a U tube and it can really be a disaster at times. I highly recommend changing the tank to have a real overflow, it is going to be worth it in the long run and it gives you lots of other options. For example, if you want a stocked little tank that has very little maintenance, you could have a sump that has a larger volume than the main tank. That will increase stability of nutrients/chemistry and decrease the need for regular water changes.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have used an external overflow with a U tube and it can really be a disaster at times. I highly recommend changing the tank to have a real overflow, it is going to be worth it in the long run and it gives you lots of other options. For example, if you want a stocked little tank that has very little maintenance, you could have a sump that has a larger volume than the main tank. That will increase stability of nutrients/chemistry and decrease the need for regular water changes.
Thank you. Yea I’m already having nightmares about when I leave town for 2 weeks or while I’m at work.

I was looking at this water box and it seems like it’s a similar foot print actually just taller and a little wider than a 20 long. Any thoughts ? Or should i go separate tank and sump.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For the longest time (12 years) I have used a U-Tube leading to a regular sump. They are not fashionable anymore, but if you clean them regularly, there are no issues (I never had it lose the siphon ever. The only problem is when algae grows too much in it and flows slows down, leading to an increase in water level).

Thanks! Yea it seems like a lot of people also have this experience , I just worry that I leave town regularly for one to two weeks and won’t be here to catch a problem. Also thinking about something like a water box 50.3 which seems similar footprint actually. Not sure if I should look into separate tank /sumps but just need something easy incase I need to move

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
The problem with AIO is that there is really little room for a proper skimmer. Maybe the AquaMaxx would fit? But even so, that's what I used on my 25 gallon for years, which I then replaced by a Dalua GW-5.

So for a 50 gallon system, I doubt it would do if you are going to do SPS etc

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The problem with AIO is that there is really little room for a proper skimmer. Maybe the AquaMaxx would fit? But even so, that's what I used on my 25 gallon for years, which I then replaced by a Dalua GW-5.

So for a 50 gallon system, I doubt it would do if you are going to do SPS etc

I’ve always been more into LPS, so doubt I’ll do sps. Had a 10 gallon for 7 years and then a 20 for 5 years. Actually have a hard time keeping nutrients up, because my tank is coral heavy and only with 2 clowns and a royal gramma, so I had to remove my
Protein skimmer. I’m just a little worried the more water the system is, the harder it’ll be to move apartments when I need to.

Attached a picture when my tank was in its prime :)

Attachments

• IMG_9143.jpeg
    IMG_9143.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 0

JPark457

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB overflows really that unreliable?
Anything that can go wrong eventually will go wrong. Drilling glass is nerve wracking but isn’t that hard w the kits sold to add an overflow to a standard tank. I have never run a HOB overflow but it just didn’t seem worth the trouble so I drilled. Only real downside is you can’t do it if a tank is up and running while you can add a HOB overflow to an operating tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: