samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
thanks Max,

My yellow and blue hippo tang eats seaweed that's from the petshop, so i try to look for the ones from the supermarket and see if they eat it as substitue. I"ll go with romain lettuce, hope they'll eat it. My yellow tang eats prepare food that i made out of messed shrimp, cyclopeeze and other meets but when looking at the yellow tang, it looks as if it's starving. and i know tang needs veg so ...just thought i can find some good price for some seaweed at the supermarket.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
no problem, ive used all types of veggies for tangs and they eat em. still the most favotire by far for my purple tang was the romain lettuce, just wash it under the tap to get all the dust off it, attach it to a smal rock with a rubber band and just leave it.
Good luck

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I feed my tangs and angel fish roasted seaweed which I get from the store down by Chinatown. I get 50 sheets for $4.95. My fish eat it so fast that I just drop it in the tank and it gone befre I know it. If you going to use Romaine lettuce you need to freeze it first as that will help the fish breakdown the cellulose otherwise most of it just pass straight though.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
thats a good point mike but i stopped feeding lettuce or anything else special for the tang since he is VERY fat. i used to feed more then a cube everyday but then i tried to lower it and it seems like nothing changed. now i feed my 8 fish less than half a cube of frozen food usually everyday and they are all real fat so thats why i stopped feeding extra.
HTH

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Wow, i wish i could find some natural seaweed. I was looking for it all day yesterday. I only found toasted/roasted seaweed. But since Michael said, he gave them roasted seaweed, i tried and gave my fish the roasted seaweed. All my fishes eats them. Got 50 pieces for $6.99, probably could last me for a year for my 8 fishes. Compare to the one that i get at the petshop for $6.99, it's just gonna last me a month or two. =D

Oh, for seaweed, when i first feed my fish, they don't eat it, i drop in a whole piece. All it does is floating on top of the water. So instead of just putting one whole piece in the water, i put it in a cup with some tank water and let it soak it for several minute and blow it with a turkey blaster so it breaks up and pour it into the tank. To my amaze, the fishes start eating it.

I also got a bush of romain lettuce. I washed and clip to the side of the tank. My tang didn't touched for an hour and is scare to go near it so i thought i wasn't going to eat it, but after an hour or so it start nipping at it. Half piece is gone...:) and the rest of the bush is in the freezer. :)

I see my tang's belly got much puffy than it was. Thanks a lot guys. :)

Last edited:

kosta113

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the tips. I'll try romaine lettuce. Today I picked up Nori seaweed from my Shoprite $3.29/10 sheets that I'll make into 30 good for a week. I read up on it and its suppose to be good. I went to a Chinese store all their seaweed had other oils in them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: