PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
*Sigh*...here we go. Wife is gonna have our living room painted and the floors sanded on the week of 4/13. So, I have to move the tank in order for them to at least paint behind the tank. It's a 72g bow front with 115 lbs LR, 3 tangs, 1 GBM clown, 1 bluespot jawfish, 1 neon gobie, live sand, about 8 corals, anemone and your various cleanup crew. I figure if I move the tank foward about 3 to 4 ft, they will be able to do what they need to do in about 2 hours. The floors are gonna be sanded and coated with WATER based clear coat. How can I do this without a catastrophy?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I would suggest those or tubs similar to them. 5 gallon containers as well. Also you are going to need heaters for each container a powerhead for each container as well. If this project lasts more than a day or two you are going to need light for any corals you have.

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I got the powerheads, and I can figure a way to use my light fixture to give them light, and I have seven 5gal buckets and if needed, go buy the biggerst rubbermaids they have but the heaters. That, I only have one. That means I have to buy like.....5 heaters? I won't be able to buy at least 5 heaters at 30 bucks a pop and have no use for them afterwards. I'm in a pickel on how to keep the water heated.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Phon You Can Drain Most Of The Water Down And If You Have A Strong Stand Get 2 2x4 One For Lower Part Of Stand And One For Upper And 2 People Can Wiggle It Forward. Reason I Put Slider's Under My Stand So If I Ever Have To Do It, It Makes It Easier

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used a big catering cooler to move everything in my tank. You can prob rent them at a party depot or restaurant supply place.....they where huge about the size of my 55 gal tank....

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would get a lot of friends
Eh, kinda thin in the friends department. But I do like the home depot idea. And can you explain how to use 2 2x4 for the "lower" part of the stand. Here is a pic of the whole set up.

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
all the weight basically or force is on the bottom of the stand. if you drain it down almost all the way and drain sump out, basically would be doing a large water change, you can grab bottom of the stand and top, someone on each side and wiggle the tank forward enough to move it to do the painting and floor, if you just need it out of the room do the same thing but tank all fish out and put in containers with tank water and you should be able to slide it all

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Phoenix, we have containers if you need them just let me know. Better to use a bigger one in another room than several smaller ones if you only have the 1 heater. It's actually not as bad as you would think moving the tank if it's just in the next room temporarily.

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the great advice guys!!! I think I will be able to this with all these great suggestions!!! LFS, Thank you soooo much!!! I will be taking you up on that offer and I will let yer know when I will need them. Whew....doesn't seem like its gonna be too bad!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

DAN-O

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
i did this one time for a 65 gallon tank. went to target and bought two big rubbermaid containers and filled them up with the tank water. you will need some power heads or koralias to move he water around in the containers.
empty your tank completely then move it. after you are done you can return the rubbermaids back to target if you have your receipts.

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, thanks to all your help and BIG thanks to LFSMARINEGUY. He lent me a 55g container and was able to put everyone in one place. Only had 4 losses....snails. Everyone else did fine. Took about three days to complete painting but we couldn't get the floors sanded. I dont think I will be moving the tank again since it will be just sanding and using water based finish. So I think I will cover the tank and have a fresh air duct from outside. We'll see. Thanks once again to everyone and a HUGE thanks to the people at Aquarium Design Network for lending me their 55g container!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: