Rating - 100%
52   0   0
so my ro/di unit says that a minimum of 35psi is needed to force the water through the membrane. i've tried both bathroom faucets and the kitchen sink. the highest i get is 30psi. is this unit worthless to me unless i get a booster pump? what is normal psi through a faucet? is this 35psi minimum standard or do other brands/models have a lower psi minimum?

DAN-O

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I only get 35 psi from my faucet as well. i also need to turn on the hot water a slight bit. if i only use cold, it only goes to 25-30 psi. I spoke to my retailer and he said the unit still produces good water if under 35 psi.
I am thinking about getting a pump as well.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
this is just so frustrating because i left the water on full for 2 hours and all i get is half a gallon of water. the waste water is shooting out at an absurd speed and the clean water is dripping every other minute.

DAN-O

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
i know same here. i get about 2.5 gallons good water per hour and tons of waste water shooting down the drain. i wish i could route the waste water
for some good use.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Yes, you need a booster pump for the R/O to be efficient. At this rate, your probably wasting a ratio of 20:1 and just using a DI resin filter would be more efficient.
FWIW, my pressure to the R/O is about 70 psi (without any pumps)

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Hot water is VERY high in TDS. Running hot water through your RO filter will clog it real fast. If you think booster pumps are expensive, price the cost of replacing an RO filter every two months.

Running your waste through the ro again is not as bad but I would just get a pump if I were in your shoes. As Chris Rock says: "You can drive with your feet if you want to but that don't make it a good idea"

iconoclast

Tired Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
some booster pumps arent so expensive, ive seen them on ebay for like 70$ or so
http://cgi.ebay.com/REVERSE-OSMOSIS...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you can also use larger micron filters. I noticed a jump in water pressure when i changed up a little.
also when your water is very cold rodi efficiency goes down.
most people should probably be using a booster pump, i only get like 40psi.... which is still probably wasting a ton of water.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Yes, you need a booster pump for the R/O to be efficient. At this rate, your probably wasting a ratio of 20:1 and just using a DI resin filter would be more efficient.
FWIW, my pressure to the R/O is about 70 psi (without any pumps)

Ditto

My tap water comes out at 40 psi and I would get a minute trickle of RO/DI water. I added the booster pump (well spent money btw) and now I get ~ 80 psi and 100 gpd production (as it is rated).

Spring for the booster pump and do it right.

swimmer

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
piping it directly to your main water line also helps, gained a few PSI doing mine that way. Can get all the parts from home depot. Also don't run it too hot or too cold if your running a faucet. Cold water loses ratio and hot water increases ratio but you use up your membrane.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
How do the waste get carried away without waste water??

Pierce, I BELIEVE he continually recirculates his waste water through the membrane. This procedure would kill a membrane in no time. The recirculated waste water keeps climbing in TDS and the prefilter and membranes would be rendered useless in a heartbeat.............IMO.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: